This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Behavioural Study of Friction Material by Using Finite Element Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An approach to the behavioral analysis of the friction material (pad) is presented that is based mainly on the Finite Element Methods representation. This Finite Element Method was used to predict the deformation of the friction material and also the pressure distribution across the contact area with the rotor. The influence of the friction material compressibility, back-plate thickness, backplate stiffness, and the piston diameter were considered. The effect of the piston pressure on the back-plate was also considered to study the behavior of the friction material. The modal analysis of the friction material was also discussed. The results showed that in order to evaluate the design performance of the disc brake, most of the components should be fully design controlled and the distributions of the nodal reaction force may affect the wear happen in the friction material.
CitationAhmed, I., Leung, P., and Datta, P., "Behavioural Study of Friction Material by Using Finite Element Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2759, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2759.
- Abd-Rabou, M.M. and El-Sherbiny, M.G. “Thermo Elastic Study on Brake Pads Using FEA” Journal of Engineering Applied Science, Vol. 45, No 5, pp. 709-719, 1998.
- Tirovic, M. and Day, A.J. “Disc Brake Interface Pressure Distributions” Proc Instn Mech Engrs, Journal of Automobile Engineering, Part D, Vol. 205, pp 137-146, 1991.
- Tamari, J., Doi, K. and Tamasho, T. “Prediction of Contact Pressure of Disc Brake Pad” JSAE Review 21 (2000), pp. 133-141, 2000.
- Hohmann, C., Schiffner, K., Oerter, K. and Reese, H. “Contact Analysis for Drum Brakes and Disk Brakes Using ADINA” Elsevier Science Ltd, Computer and Structures 72 (1999), pp. 185-198, 1999.
- Lee, Y.S., Brooks, P.C., Barton, D.C., and Crolla, D.A. “A Study of Disc Brake Squeal Propensity Using a Parametric Finite Element model” European Conference on Vehicle Noise and Vibration, IMechE, C521/009/98, 1998.