This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aluminium Alloy Selection for Closures with Respect to Functional Demands
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 03, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The choice of alloys for closures is dependent on the functional requirements such as dent resistance, torsional rigidity, feasibility of the panel and corrosion resistance. Based on its good hemming performance, low FFC susceptibility and high formability AA6016 is the preferred alloy choice for outer panels in Europe. With the newly developed pre-bake qualities 6016 T4P having an improved Bake-Hardening-Response for conventional paint lines the requirement for dent resistance is no longer a limiting factor for downgauging. When torsional rigidity is the most critical demand for closures the 6016/5182 as outer/inner combination provides the best weight saving solution.
|Technical Paper||Effect of Strength of Steel Sheet on Frictional Behavior|
|Technical Paper||Benefits of Using Pre-Treated, Pre-Aged Aluminium 6xxx Sheet Material for Closure Applications|
|Technical Paper||Diamond Chemical Vapor Deposition on Cutting Tools|
CitationLahaye, C., Bottema, J., De Smet, P., and Heyvaert, S., "Aluminium Alloy Selection for Closures with Respect to Functional Demands," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2696, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2696.
- Lahaye, C.T.W., et.al., “influence of substrate texture on forming and paint appearance of aluminium sheet material” Proceedings IBEC'97, (1997)
- Courval, G.J., Allin, J., “Cosmetic corrosion of aluminum closure panels: Lab testing vs. field performance” Proceedings SAE 2000, SAE Technical paper series, 2000-01-0064, (2000)
- Bleeker, R., Bottema, J., Sibson, J., Gehmecker, H., Johannpötter, O., “Filiform Corrosion of Painted Aluminium Body Sheet of Alloy AA6016 with Special Attention to the Alloying Element Copper” Proceedings ASST2000, (2000)
- Zhuang, l., et.al., “Improvement in bake hardening response of Al-Si-Mg alloys” Proceedings of ICAA7, Materials Science Forum, Vols. 331-337, pp.1309-1314 (2000)
- Lahaye, C.T.W., Söderlund, J., ten Have, D., Schwenk, H., “Development of an aluminium prototype bonnet for Saab 9-3” Proceedings IBEC98, 982286, (1998)
- Lahaye, C.T.W., Bottema, J., De Smet, P., Jonason, P., Håkansson, T., Olofsson, A., “Improved AA5182 aluminium alloy as a preferred choice for critical forming operations” Proceedings IBEC99, SAE Technical papers series 1999-01-3173, (1999)