This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Strength of Spot Welded Joint Pairs as Determined by Layout
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 03, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Tests were made to compare the performance of spot-weld pairs in lap-shear tests. Lap-shear coupons were made in mild steel and aluminum with pairs of welds aligned along and perpendicular to the loading direction. These results were compared to single spot weld samples.
It was found that the pairs of welds did not double the strength of the joint compared to a single spot weld. Welds perpendicular to the loading direction only increased the peak load by 64% in steel and 85% in aluminum. Weld alignment along the loading direction increased steel joint strength by only 38%, but 100% in aluminum.
|Technical Paper||Development of Integral Aluminum Cross Member by Squeeze Casting|
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Spot Weld Testing|
|Technical Paper||Improvement of Crashworthiness in a Hat-Shaped Component Made of 0.44%-Carbon Steel through Arc Spot Welding|
CitationMiller, K., Chao, Y., and Wang, P., "Strength of Spot Welded Joint Pairs as Determined by Layout," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2676, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2676.
- AWS C1.1-66 Recommended Practices for Resistance Welding 1966 American Welding Society Miami, FL 77 112
- MIL-W-6858D Military Specification for Welding, Resistance: Spot and Seam 1978 U.S. Department of Defense Washington, DC
- AWS D8.7-88 Recommended Practices for Automotive Weld Quality - Resistance Spot Welding 1988 American Welding Society, ANSI D8.7-88 - American National Standards Institute, SAE J-1188 - Society of Automotive Engineers Miami, FL 1 6
- Barkey, M. E. Kang, H. 1999 Testing of Spot Welded Coupons in Combined Tension and Shear Experimental Techniques 23 5 20 22
- Miller, K. W. Chao, Y. J. Wang, P. C. 2000 Effect of Impact Loading on the Failure of Resistance Spot Welds Welding Journal
- Lee, Y.-L. Wehner, T. J. Lu, M.-W. Morrissett, T. W. Pakalnins, E. 1998 Ultimate Strength of Resistance Spot Welds Subjected to Combined Tension and Shear Journal of Testing and Evaluation 26 5 213 219
- Wang, P. C. Ewing, K. M. 1994 Effect of Weld Design on the Fatugue Strength of Laser and Resistance Spot Welded Tubular T-Joints for Automotive Applications Welding Journal 73 9 209-s 217-s
- Rivett, R. M. Riches, S. T. 1986 Drop Weight Impact Testing of Spot Welded Weldbonded, and Adhesively Bonded Box Sections The Welding Institute Cambridge
- Zhou, M. Hu, S. J. Zhang, H. 1999 Critical Specimen Sizes for Tensile-Shear Testing of Steel Sheets Welding Journal 78 9 305-s 312-s