This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Anhydrous Polyalkylene Glycol Hydraulic Fluids
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There is an ongoing interest in identifying new biodegradable hydraulic fluid compositions that may be used as alternatives to mineral oil in many hydraulic applications such as mobile off-highway equipment. To date, many basestocks have been proposed including: vegetable oils, polyol esters, diesters, synthetic hydrocarbons and others. One basestock is gaining interest as alternative, biodegradable, fire-resistant hydraulic fluid; anhydrous poly(alkylene glycol) (PAG) fluids. However, the use of these fluids is not new; they are simply being rediscovered. The objective of this paper is to provide an overview of the discovery and development of anhydrous PAGs as hydraulic fluids. This discussion will include: an overview of PAG chemistry, properties and hydraulic pump performance.
CitationTotten, G., Webster, G., Bishop, R., and Sloan, W., "Anhydrous Polyalkylene Glycol Hydraulic Fluids," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2557, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2557.
- Lewis W.E.F. 1989
- Totten G.E. Bishop R.J. “Historical Overview of the Development of Water-Glycol Hydraulic Fluids” SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper Number 952076 1995
- Honary L.A.T. “Vegetable-Based Hydraulic Oils” Handbook of Hydraulic Fluid Technology Totten G.E. 2000 2000 Marcel Dekker New York, NY 1095 1151
- Bünemann T.F. Steverink-de Zoete M.C. van Aken R.P. “Environmentally Acceptable Hydraulic Fluids Based on Natural Synthetic Esters"” SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper Number 981489 1998
- Omeis J. Bock W. Harperscheid M. “The Development of a New Generation of High Performance Biofluids” SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper Number 981491 1998
- Kempermann C. Murrenhoff H. “Reduction of Water Content in Biodegradable and Other Hydraulic Fluids” SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper Number 941497 1998
- Papay A.G. Rudnick L.R. “Hydraulics” Synthetic Lubricants and High-Performance Functional Fluids 2nd Edition” Rudnick L.R. Shubkin R.L. 1999 Marcel Dekker New York, NY 595 624
- Klamann D. “Chapter 11.9 - Hydraulic Fluids” Lubricants and Related Products - Synthesis, Properties, Applications, International Standards 1984 Verlag Chemie Basel 307 330
- ISO/DIS 15380 “Lubricants, industrial oils and related products (class L) - Family H (Hydraulic systems) Specifications for categories HETG, HEPG, HEES and HEPR. International Standards, Organization Geneva, Switzerland
- Kovanda K.P. Miller P.R. “Field Experience with a New Generation of Polyether Polyol Hydraulic Fluid” Iron and Steel Engineer 1998 75 12 30 34
- Kovanda K.P. Miller P.R. “Polyether Polyol: A New Fire-Resistant and Biodegradable Hydraulic Fluid for the Mobil Equipment Industry” SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper Number 1999-01-1878 1999
- Kovanda K.P. Miller P.R. Melief H.M. “Polyether Polyol: New Milestones Operating at 5000 PSI on a Steel Mill Hydraulic Automatic Gauge Control System” Proc. Of the 48 th Conf. on Fluid Power April 4-6 2000 National Fluid Power Association Milwaukee, WI 81 85
- “Test Standard for Specification Test Standard for Flammability of Industrial Fluids” Class Number 6930 Factory Mutual Research Corporation Norwood, MA.
- Reichel J. “Pump Testing Strategies and Associated Tribological Considerations ASTM D 2882, IP281 and DIN 51389” Tribology of Hydraulic Pump Testing: STP 1310 Totten G.E. Kling G.H. Smolenski D.J. 1996 American Society for Testing and Materials Conshohocken, PA 85 95
- Totten G.E. Bishop R.J. Cerf J. “Biodegradable, Fire-Resistant, High-Performance Water-Glycol Hydraulic Fluids Proc. Of the 48 th Conf. on Fluid Power April 4-6 2000 National Fluid Power Association Milwaukee, WI 57 63
- Johnson H.T. Lewis T.I. “Vickers' 35VQ25 Pump Test” Tribology of Hydraulic Pump Testing: STP 1310 Totten G.E. Kling G.H. Smolenski D.J. 1996 American Society for Testing and Materials Conshohocken, PA 129 139
- Melief H.M. Totten G.E. Bishop R.J. “Hydraulic Fluid Qualification Using the Rexroth High-Pressure Piston Pump Test” Proc. Of the 48 th Conf. on Fluid Power April 4-6 2000 National Fluid Power Association Milwaukee, WI 241 249