This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reduced Emissions / Reduced Noise Snowmobile
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this project was to modify an existing snowmobile to reduce emissions and noise, while maintaining or improving performance. Existing technologies and commercially available products from various engineering fields have been combined to create a finished product that suits these objectives. A single-cylinder SI engine, intake, exhaust, as well as snowmobile body modifications were made, including high flow filters, ceramic coatings, catalytic after-treatment, cowl design, and implementation of an engine management system. The finished product is an easily manufactured snowmobile that meets these objectives and can be used in National parks and other environmentally sensitive areas.
CitationMills, A., Baker, E., Echter, A., and Cornelius, S., "Reduced Emissions / Reduced Noise Snowmobile," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2553, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2553.
- Becker E. Watson R. 1998 “Future Trends in Automotive Emission Control”
- Heywood J. 1988 Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals
- Lindner D. Mussmann L. van den Tillaart J. Lox E. Roshan A. Garr G. Beason R. 2000 “Comparison of Pd-only, Pd/Rh, and Pt/Rh Catalysts in TLEV, LEV Vehicle Applications - Real Vehicle Data versus Computer Modeling Results” SAE International Congress & Exposition ′00
- Taylor, C. Fayette 1977 The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice - Volume 2: Combustion, Fuels, Materials, Design
- Stone R. 1985 Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines
- Mayer A. Czerwinski J. Wysser M. Stadler E. Wolfensberger U. Matter U. Mattrel P. Huthwohl G. Schindler A. 1999 “Best Available Technology for Emission Reduction of Small 4S-SI-Engines” Small Engine Technology Conference & Exposition '99
- Blair G.P. 1996 Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines
- Carroll J. White J. Rowland S. 1999 “Development of Low-Emissions Small Off-Road Engines” Small Engine Technology Conference & Exposition '99
- Siegl W. Kaiser E. Adamczyk A. Guenther M. DiCicco, D. Lewis, D. 1998 “A Comparison of Conversion Efficiencies of Individual Hydrocarbon Species Across Pd-and Pt-Based Catalysts as a Function of Fuel-Air Ratio” SAE International Fall Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition '98