This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Tests of Miniature Loop Heat Pipe with a Flat Evaporator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 10, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents the results of analysis, development and tests of an ammonia miniature loop heat pipe (MLHP) with a flat evaporator, which has an active-zone diameter of 30mm. The length and the diameter of the vapor and the liquid lines are 1m and 2/1.2mm. The device serviceability has been demonstrated at a horizontal and a vertical orientation in 1-g conditions. The maximum heat load achieved on trials was equal, respectively, to 160W and 120W, which corresponds to a heat flow in the evaporation zone of 23 W/cm2 and 17 W/cm2. The minimum thermal resistance at nominal heat loads from 40 to 80 W varied in the range from 0.42 W/m2K to 0.59 W/m2K. A comparison has been made with a model MLHP with a cylindrical evaporator equipped with a copper and aluminum “saddle”.
- Yu. F. Maidanik - Institute of Thermal Physics of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- S. V. Vershinin - Institute of Thermal Physics of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- M. A. Chernysheva - Institute of Thermal Physics of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
CitationMaidanik, Y., Vershinin, S., and Chernysheva, M., "Development and Tests of Miniature Loop Heat Pipe with a Flat Evaporator," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2491, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2491.
- Maidanik Y.F. et al Some Results of Loop Heat Pipes Development, Tests and Application in Engineering Proc. of the 5 th International Heat Pipe Symposium Melbourne, Australia 1996 406 412
- Kiseev V.M. Belonogov A.G. Problems of a Choice in Designing Loop Heat Pipes Proc. of the CPL'98 International Workshop El Segundo, USA 1998
- Maidanik Y.F. Vershinin S.V. Evaporator of a Loop Heat Pipe Patent of Russia N2101644 1998
- Dunbar N. Jacobs R. Supper W. Design, Development and Testing of a Miniature Capillary Pumped Loop 6 th European Symposium on Space Environmental Control Systems Noordwijk, The Netherlands 1997 365 370
- Pastukhov V.G. Maidanik Y.F. Development and Investigation of Miniature Loop Heat Pipe SAE Paper N 1999-01-1983 1999
- Maidanik Y.F. Fershtater Y.G. Theoretical basis and classification of loop heat pipes and capillary pumped loops 10 th Int. Heat Pipe Conf. Stuttgart, Germany 1977