This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design for a Moon/Mars Crater Base
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 10, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Prolonged confinement on the Moon or Mars places design priority on Human Factors. A crater provides a naturalistic environment both reminiscent of “home” and integral to its exotic setting. An agricultural zone on the crater floor allows constant visual contact with growing plants as well as a central social milieu that is readily available and observable to living spaces along the crater wall. Use of imported construction material is minimized.
CitationEichold, A., "Design for a Moon/Mars Crater Base," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2466, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2466.
- Cohen, Marc M. “Designing Space Habitats For Human Productivity” SAE Technical Paper Series 901204 July 1990
- Eichold, A. “Plant Growth Module Geometry, As An Aspect Of Human Factors” U.C. Berkeley Master Of Architecture, Design Thesis 1993
- Eichold, A. “Lunar Base Planning Criteria” Washington 1991
- Cohen, Marc M. “First Mars Outpost Habitation Strategy” Advanced Projects Branch Space Projects Division NASA-Ames Research Center Moffett Field CA 945035-1000
- Lynch, Kevin, The Pattern of the Metropolis,City Sense and City Design Tridib Banerjee Michael Southworth MIT Press 1990
- “Power Transmission by Laser Beam from Lunar-Synchronous Satellite” Williams M.D. de Young R.J. shuster G.L. Choi S. H. Langley Research Center Hampton Dagle Virginia J. E. Coomes E. P. Antoniak Z. I. Bamberger J. A. Bates J. M. Chiu M. A. Dodge R. E. Wise J. A. Pacific Northwest Laboratory Richland Washington 1993
- Rowley, John C. Neudecker, Joseph W. “In Situ Rock Melting in Construction and for Exploration Drilling and Coring on the Moon” Lunar bases and Space Activities of the 21st Century mendell w.w. Lunar and planetary institute houston 1985
- Haskin, Larry A. “Toward a Spartan Scenario for Use of Lunar Materials” Lunar bases and Space Activities of the 21st Century Mendell W.W. Lunar and Planetary Institute Houston 1985