This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Optical Components for Space-Based Solar Plant Lighting
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 10, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper summarizes the results of a program to develop key components for the Optical Waveguide (OW) Solar Plant Lighting System. In the OW solar lighting system, solar radiation is collected by the concentrator which transfers the photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) to the OW transmission line consisting of low-loss optical fibers. The OW line transmits the solar radiation to the plant growing units where the PAR component of the radiation is directed to the plants. The non-PAR components of the solar radiation is directed to the energy conversion device for non-plant lighting applications.
This program, conducted by Physical Sciences Inc. (PSI) in collaboration with Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), is a basic study leading to the development of: (1) components pertaining to coupling of the solar concentrator and the optical fibers; (2) efficient, light weight OW transmission cables; (3) spectral modification and optical switching devices; and (4) light distribution device. Key components for the OW system studied include: the concentrator; the optical fiber; the cable connector; plant lighting device; and spectral modification optics.
CitationNakamura, T., Comaskey, B., and Bell, M., "Development of Optical Components for Space-Based Solar Plant Lighting," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2425, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2425.
- Nakamura, T., and Case, J. A., “Optical Waveguide Solar Lighting System for Space-Based Plant Growing,” SBIR Phase I, NASA/JSC (NAS9-19279), Final Report, June 1995.
- Nakamura, T., Case, J. A., and Senior, C., L., “Optical Waveguide Solar Energy System for Lunar Material Processing,” SBIR Phase II (NAS9-19105), NASA/JSC, March 1994-February 1996.
- Nakamura, T., Case, J. A., Jack, D. A. and Cuello, J. L., “Optical Waveguide Solar Plant Lighting system for Life Support in Space,” 29th International Conference on Environmental Systems, Denver, Co., July 1999.
- Nakamura, T., and Irvin, B. R., “Development of Optical Waveguide for Survivable Solar Space Power Systems,” Final Report F04611-88-C-0037, Phillips Laboratory, PL-TR-92-3006, August 1993.
- Nakamura, T., and Irvin, B. R., “Optical Waveguide Solar Space Power System,” 1992 ASME International Solar Energy Conference, Maui, Hawaii, April 1992.
- O'Neill, M. J., Private communication, September 1999.