This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Evaluation of a Three-Stage Vacuum Rotary Distillation Processor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 10, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Simulated spacecraft water recovery wastewater feed streams were purified with a three-stage vacuum rotary distillation processor (TVRD) during a series of tests conducted to evaluate the operation of this technology. The TVRD was developed to efficiently reclaim potable water from urine in microgravity by NIICHIMMASH (Moscow, Russia). A prototype was evaluated at the Honeywell Space Water Reclamation test lab, where a special test setup was assembled to evaluate the performance of the TVRD. This paper discusses the TVRD technology, test description, test results, and performance analysis.
Tests were conducted using four streams of wastewater: pretreated human urine, bioprocessor effluent, reverse osmosis brine ersatz, and deionized water. The testing demonstrated that greater than 90 percent water recovery can be reached with production rates of 2.2 to 2.9 kg/hr (4.84 to 6.30 lb/hr). Specific power consumption varied between 132 and 166 W-hr/kg (60 and 75 W-hr/lb), depending upon the wastewater stream being processed, making the TVRD the most efficient demonstrated distillation technology for space use. The product water was high quality with very low dissolved solids, and low in organic carbon. The evaluation test demonstrated reliable equipment performance and the versatility of the TVRD as a urine processor or as a secondary water processor.
CitationLubman, A., MacKnight, A., Reddig, M., Bobe, S. et al., "Performance Evaluation of a Three-Stage Vacuum Rotary Distillation Processor," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2386, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2386.
- Rifert, V. Usenko V. Zolotukin I. MacKnight A. Lubman A. “Comparison Of Water Processors Using Distillation For Space Applications” SAE Paper 9970466, 29th International Conference on Environmental Systems Denver July 1999
- Hutchens, C.F. “A Description and Comparison of U.S. and Russian Urine Processing Hardware for the International Space Station” 24 th ICES, SAE 941251 Friedrichsgraben, Germany June 20 23 1994
- Noble, L. Schubert F. Pudoka R. Miernik J. “Phase Change Water Recovery for the Space Station Freedom and Future Exploration Missions,” SAE Paper 901294 , 20th International Conference on Environmental Systems Willamsburg July 1990
- Noble, L. Schubert F. Graves R. Miernik J. “An Assessment of the Readiness of Vapor Compression Distillation for Spacecraft Water Processing,” SAE Paper 911454 , 21th Intersociety Conference on Environmental Systems San Francisco July 1991
- Miernik, J. “Space Station Freedom Vapor Compression Distillation Waste Water Processor,” Proceedings of the International Conference of Life Support and Biospherics Huntsville, AB 461 471 February 1992
- Scull, T. D. “TIMES Regenerator Redesign Description” 29 th ICES, SAE 1999-01-1990 Denver, CO July 12 15 1999
- Smith, Frederick D. Weaver Gregg S. Lange Kevin E. Ruemmele Warren R. Water Recovery of Reverse Osmosis Brine and Pretreated Urine with an Air Evaporation Subsystem,” 29 th ICES, SAE Technical Paper Series 1999-01-1992 Denver CO July 1999
- Samsonov, N. M. Bobe L. S. Novikov V. M. Ja. Pinsky B. Rakov V. V. Farafonov N. S. Rifert V. G. Barabash P. A. Protasov N. N. Komolov V. V. Development of Urine Processor Distillation Hardware for Space Stations 25 th ICES San Diego, CA, July 10-13, 1995. SAE Technical paper series 951605
- MacKnight, A. L AlliedSignal Aerospace Samsonov N. M. Bobe L. S. Novikov V. M. NIICHIMMASH 26 th ICES, Monterey Ca., July 8-11, 1996, SAE Technical paper series 961336
- Farafonov, N. S. Ja. Pinsky B. Rifert V. G. Rakov V. V. Protasov N. N. Komolov V. V. Experience in Development of Systems for Water Reclamation from Urine Based on Distillation with Heat Energy Recuperation Sixth European Symposium on Space Environmental Control Systems, SP 400 2 785 791 1997
- Samsonov, N. M. Bobe L. S. Novikov V. M. Farafonov N. S. Rakov V. V. Ja. Pinsky B. Zaitsev E. N. Protasov N. N. Komolov V. V. Rifert V. G. Rationale and Selection of a Distillation Subsystem for Water Reclamation from Urine 28 th ICES, Danvers, Mass., July 13-16, 1998. SAE Technical paper series 981714
- Samsonov, N. M. Bobe L. S. Novikov V. M. Farafonov N. S. Ja. Pinsky B. Rakov V. V. Margulis V. I. Rifert V. G. Grigoriev Ju. I. Komolov V. V. Protasov N. N. Development and Testing Distillation Subsystem for Water Reclamation from Urine 29 th ICES. Denver, Co, July 12-15, 1999. SAE Technical paper series 1999-01-1993
- Saill, Timothy D. TIMES Regenerator Redesign Description 29 th ICES Denver, Co July 12 15 1999 1999-01-1990
- Smith, Frederick D Weaver Gregg S. Lange Kevin E. Ruemmele Warren R. Water Recovery of Reverse Osmosis Brine and Pretreated Urine with an Air Evaporation Subsystem 29 th ICES Denver, Co July 12 15 1999 1999-01-1992