This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of Foam Materials for Cryotank Insulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 10, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the paper an activity to assess candidate foam materials for insulation of liquid hydrogen tank of reusable launchers is reported. This work has been performed jointly by DaimlerChrysler Aerospace and ESA/ESTEC. A screening of commercial materials has been carried out on the basis of supplier's data and characterisation tests at sample level in a large range of temperature. Most of the materials pre-selected has shown performance considerably lower than the target goal and only one, although with some limitations, has been retained as candidate. Recommended future activities are also presented.
CitationSarries Illera, J., Santovincenzo, A., Ritter, H., and Antonenko, J., "Assessment of Foam Materials for Cryotank Insulation," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2235, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2235.
- Ebeling W.-D. Antonenko J. Sach E. “Lightweight Insulations Trade-off and Design Selection Report - FESTIP Interim Report-” FTS-RIBRE-TN-0003 1 31 05 1996
- Sarries Illera J.I. Santovincenzo, A. Ritter, H. Antonenko J. “Liquid Hydrogen Tank Insulation” 12 th AAAF European Aerospace Conference Paris 1999
- Ritter H. Antonenko J. “FESTIP Phase 2, Cryogenic Insulation, Final Report” FTH2-DBA-FIR-2000-002 1999
- Sarries Illera Jose-Ignacio “characterisation of polymeric foams for the insulation of cryogenic tanks of reusable launchers” AMTT internal document 2000
- “Cellular plastics - Determination of tensile properties of rigid materials” International Standard Ref. No. ISO 1926-1979 (E)
- Daniel Klempner Frisch Kurt C. “Handbook of Polymeric Foams and Foam Technology” Hanser Publishers 1991 3-446-15097-8
- “Cellular plastics - Determination of Shear strength of rigid materials” International Standard Ref. No. ISO 1922-1981 (E)
- Aalders B.G.M. “A new facility for Measuring the Coefficient of Thermal Expansion: CTE1000” ESA Journal 13 1989
- “Testing of plastics and elastomers; thermal analysis; DSC method” Deutsches Institut fur Normaung (DIN) standard
- 2 October 1994 “A thermal vacuum test for the screening of space materials” ESA specification
- “Standard Test Method for Cell Size of Rigid Cellular Plastics” ASTM standard