This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Review of Heavy-Duty Engine Combustion Research at Sandia National Laboratories
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 19, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Government/Industry Meeting
The objectives of this paper are to describe the research efforts in diesel engine combustion at Sandia National Laboratories' Combustion Research Facility and to provide recent experimental results. We have four diesel engine experiments supported by the Department of Energy, Office of Heavy Vehicle Technologies: a one-cylinder version of a Cummins heavy-duty engine, a diesel simulation facility, a one-cylinder Caterpillar engine to evaluate combustion of alternative fuels, and a homogeneous-charge, compression-ignition (HCCI) engine facility is under development. Recent experimental results to be discussed are: the effects of injection timing and diluent addition on late-combustion soot burnout, diesel-spray ignition and premixed-burn behavior, a comparison of the combustion characteristics of M85 (a mixture of 85% methanol and 15% gasoline) and DF2 (#2 diesel reference fuel), and a description of our HCCI experimental program and modeling work.
CitationCarling, R. and Singh, G., "Review of Heavy-Duty Engine Combustion Research at Sandia National Laboratories," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2199, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2199.
- Dec, J. E. Kelly-Zion, P. “The Effects of Injection Timing and Diluent Addition on Late-Combustion Soot Burnout in a DI Diesel Engine Based on Simultaneous 2-D Imaging of OH and Soot SAE paper no. 2000-01-0238 2000
- Espey, C. Dec, J. E. “Diesel Engine Combustion Studies in a Newly Designed Optical-Access Engine Using High-Speed Visualization and 2-D Laser Imaging,” SAE Transactions 102 703 723 paper no. 930971 1993
- Dec, J. E. Espey, C. “Ignition and Early Soot Formation in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using Multiple 2-D Imaging Diagnostics,” SAE Transactions 104 853 875 1995
- Dec, J. E. Espey, C. “Chemiluminescence Imaging of Autoignition in a DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Transactions SAE 982685 1998
- Higgins, B. Siebers, D. Aradi, A. “Diesel-Spray Ignition and Premixed-Burn Behavior,” SAE paper no. 2000-01-0940 2000
- Siebers, D. L. “Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays,” SAE paper 980809 1998
- Naber, J.D. Siebers, D.L. “Effects of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays,” SAE Transactions 105 82 111 1996
- Siebers, D.L. “Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays,” SAE Transactions 10 1205 1227 1998
- Siebers, D.L. “Scaling Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays Based on Mixing-Limited Vaporization,” SAE 1999-01-0528
- Kelly-Zion, P. L. Dec, J. E. “A Computational Study of the Effect of Fuel Type on Ignition Time in HCCI Engines,” proceedings of the 28 th Symposium (International) on Combustion July August 2000