This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Isolated Effects of Ambient Pressure, Nozzle Cavitation and Hole Inlet Geometry on Diesel Injection Spray Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 19, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Cavitation has been known to occur in injector nozzles. It is known that the mass flow rate from a nozzle and occurrence of cavitation in nozzle holes are dependent on injection pressure and back pressure together with the nozzle geometry and needle effects. Interestingly, injected mass from sharp inlet hole nozzles under these conditions is independent of back pressure for a range of pressures under cavitating flows (similar to choking). In the past, information on the change in the spray parameters and the Sauter mean diameter (SMD) for these varying isolated back pressures has not been available.
In this study spray visualizations, SMD measurements and momentum estimates for sharp and rounded inlet nozzles were performed for a range of upstream and back pressures while keeping the ambient density constant. A Live Digital Light Extinction Technique (LDLET) was developed and applied as the optical technique for spray Sauter mean diameter measurements. Discharge coefficient estimates were obtained by direct measurements of nozzle sac pressures of a high-pressure common rail injection system using sharp and rounded inlet hole nozzles. Results were compared and classifications of spray mixing were proposed for the sharp and rounded inlet hole nozzles, which otherwise had the same nozzle geometry.
CitationGoney, K. and Corradini, M., "Isolated Effects of Ambient Pressure, Nozzle Cavitation and Hole Inlet Geometry on Diesel Injection Spray Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2043, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2043.
SAE 2000 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V109-4; Published: 2001-09-15
Number: V109-4; Published: 2001-09-15
- Reitz, R.D. Bracco, F.V. 1986 “Mechanisms of Breakup of Liquid Jets,” Encyclopedia of Fluid Mechanics, Gas Liquid Flows Cheremisinoff N.P. et al. Gulf Publishing Corp. Houston 3 233 249
- Nurick, W.,H. 1976 “Orifice Cavitation and its Effect on Spray Mixing,” Journal of Fluids Engineering 98 681 687
- Randall, L.,N. 1951 “Rocket Applications of the Cavitating Venturi,” American Rocket Society Meeting Toronto ARS Journal 28 31
- Soteriou, C. Andrews, R. Smith, M. 1995 “Direct Injection Diesel Sprays and the Effect of Cavitation and Hydraulic Flip on Atomization,” SAE Paper, 950080
- Chaves, H. Knapp, M. Kubitzek, A. Obermeier, F. Schneider, T. 1995 “Experimental Study of Cavitation in the Nozzle Hole of Diesel Injectors Using Transparent Nozzles,” SAE Paper, 950290
- Arai, M. Shimizu, M. Hiroyasu, H. 1991 “Similarity Between the Break-up Lengths of a High Speed Liquid Jet in Atmospheric and Pressurized Conditions,” ICLASS-91, Paper 61
- Arcoumanis, C. Flora, H. Gavaises, M. Kampanis. N. Horrocks, R. 1999 “Investigation of Cavitation in a Vertical Multi-Hole Injector,” SAE Paper, 1999-01-0524
- Bergwerk, W. 1959 “Flow Pattern in Diesel Nozzle Spray Holes,” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 173 25 655 660
- Goney, K., H. Corradini, M., L. 1997 “An Experimental Study Isolating the Effects of Ambient Pressure and Nozzle Cavitation on Spray Parameters,” ASME ICE 29-2 99 106
- Schmidt, D.,P. Corradini, M.,L. 1997 “Analytical Prediction of the Exit Flow of Cavitating Orifices,” Atomization and Sprays 7 603 616
- Siebers, D., L. 1999 “Scaling Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays Based on Mixing-Limited Vaporization,” SAE Paper, 1999-01-0528
- Miyaki, M. Fujisawa H. Masuda A. Yamamoto Y. 1991 “Development of New Electronically Controlled Fuel Injection System ECD-U2 for Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper, 910252
- Tsanemoto, H. Montajir, R., M. Ishitani, H. Hayashi, T. Harai, D. 1999 “The Influence of Pressure in the Nozzle Sac and Needle Lift on Fuel Spray Behavior and HC Emissions in DI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper, 1999-01-3491
- Kamimoto, T. Yokota, H. Kobayashi, H. 1989 “A New Technique for the Measurement of Sauter Mean Diameter of Droplets in Unsteady Dense Sprays,” SAE Paper, 890316
- El-Beshbeeshy, M.,S. Hodges, J.,T. Corradini, M.,L. 1992 “Image Analysis of Diesel Sprays,” SAE Paper, 921628
- Schmidt, D.,P. Su, T., -F. Goney, K.,H. Farrell, P.,V. Corradini, M., L. 1995 “Detection of Cavitation in Fuel Injector Nozzles,” Eighth International Symposium on Transport Phenomena in Combustion Taylor & Francis San Francisco 1521 1533
- Lichtarowicz, A. et al 1965 “Discharge Coefficients for Incompressible Non-Cavitating Flow Through Long Orifices,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 7 2 210 219
- Sarre, C. Kong, S-C. Reitz, R., D. 1999 “Modeling the Effects of Injector Nozzle Geometry on Diesel Sprays,” SAE Paper, 1999-01-0912
- Tamaki, N. Shimizu, M. Nishida, K. Hiroyasu, H. 1998 “Effects of Cavitation and Internal Flow on Atomization of a Liquid Jet,” Atomization and Sprays 8 179 197
- Karasawa, T. Tanaka, M. Abe, K. Shiga, S. Kurabayashi, T. 1991 “Effect of Nozzle Configuration on the Atomization of Steady Spray,” ICLASS-91, Paper 62