This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cylinder to Cylinder and Cycle to Cycle Variations in a Six Cylinder Lean Burn Natural Gas Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 19, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The cylinder to cylinder and cycle to cycle variations were measured in a production type Volvo natural gas engine. Cylinder pressure was measured in all six cylinders. Emission measurements were performed individually after all cylinders, and commonly after the turbocharger. Measurements (ECE R49 13-mode) were performed with different spark gap and two different locations for fuel injection, one before the throttle and one before the turbocharger. Heat-release and lambda calculations show substantial cylinder to cylinder variations, due to lambda variations between the cylinders. The slow burn combustion chamber, with low turbulence, results in high cycle to cycle variations (> 100% COV imep) for some of the load cases.
CitationEinewall, P. and Johansson, B., "Cylinder to Cylinder and Cycle to Cycle Variations in a Six Cylinder Lean Burn Natural Gas Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1941, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1941.
- IANGV “International Association for Natural Gas Vehicles”
- Johansson B. Olsson K. “Combustion Chambers for Natural Gas SI Engines Part 1: Fluid Flow and Combustion” SAE 950469
- Olsson K. Johansson B. “Combustion Chambers for Natural Gas SI Engines Part 2: Combustion and Emissions” SAE 950517
- Einewall P. Johansson B. “Combustion Chambers for Supercharged Natural Gas Engines”
- Johansson B. “On Cycle to Cycle Variations in Spark Ignition Engines” Doctoral Thesis Dept. of Heat & Power Engineering, Lund Inst. of Techn. 1995
- Furuyama M. Yan X. B. “Mixing flow phenomena of natural gas and air in the mixer of a CNG vehicle” SAE 981391
- Russ S. Thiel M. Lavoie G. “SI engine operation with retarded ignition: Part 2-HC emissions and oxidation” SAE 1999-01-3507
- Heywood J. B. “ Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals ” 0-07-100499-8 617
- Gardiner D. Pucher G. Mallory R. Todesco M. Bardon M. Ball W. Gibson R. “Comparisons of the Ignition Voltage Requirements of Natural Gas and Gasoline in a Bi-Fuel Passenger Car” SAE1999-01-356
- Janach W. Zuber P. “Direct Cylinder Control (DCC) - Zylinderindividuelle Zyklische Lambdareglerung” MTZ 61 2000 258 264