This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simultaneous Reduction of Engine Emissions and Fuel Consumption Using Genetic Algorithms and Multi-Dimensional Spray and Combustion Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 19, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A computational optimization study is performed for a heavy-duty direct-injection diesel engine using the recently developed KIVA-GA computer code. KIVA-GA performs full cycle engine simulations within the framework of a Genetic Algorithm (GA) global optimization code. Design fitness is determined using a one-dimensional gas -dynamics code for calculation of the gas exchange process, and a three-dimensional CFD code based on KIVA-3V for spray, combustion and emissions formation.
The performance of the present Genetic Algorithm is demonstrated using a test problem with a multi-modal analytic function in which the optimum is known a priori. The KIVA-GA methodology is next used to simultaneously investigate the effects of six engine input parameters on emissions and performance for a high speed, medium load operating point for which baseline experimental validation data is available. Start of injection (SOI), injection pressure, amount of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), boost pressure and split injection rate-shape are all explored. The predicted optimum results in significantly lower soot and NOx emissions together with improved fuel consumption compared to the baseline design. The present results indicate that a new and efficient computational design methodology has been developed for optimization of internal combustion engines with respect to a large number of parameters.
CitationSenecal, P. and Reitz, R., "Simultaneous Reduction of Engine Emissions and Fuel Consumption Using Genetic Algorithms and Multi-Dimensional Spray and Combustion Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1890, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1890.
SAE 2000 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V109-4 ; Published: 2001-09-15
Number: V109-4 ; Published: 2001-09-15
- Patterson, M. A., Kong, S.-C., Hampson, G. J. and Reitz, R. D., “Modeling the Effects of Fuel Injection Characteristics on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions,” SAE 940523, 1994.
- Han, Z., Uludogan, A., Hampson, G. J. and Reitz, R. D., “Mechanism of Soot and NOx Emission Reduction Using Multiple-Injection in a Diesel Engine,” SAE 960633, 1996.
- Chan, M., Das, S. and Reitz, R. D., “Modeling of Multiple Injection and EGR Effects on Diesel Engine Emissions,” SAE 972864, 1997.
- Hikosaka, N., “A View of the Future of Automotive Diesel Engines,” SAE 972682, 1997.
- Amsden, A. A., “KIVA-3V: A Block-Structured KIVA Program for Engines with Vertical or Canted Valves,” Los Alamos National Laboratory Report NO. LA-13313-MS, 1997.
- Senecal, P. K., “Development of a Methodology for Internal Combustion Engine Design Using Multi-Dimensional Modeling with Validation Through Experiments,” Ph.D. Thesis, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2000.
- Senecal, P. K., Uludogan, A. and Reitz, R. D., “Development of Novel Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Designs using Computational Fluid Dynamics,” SAE 971594, 1997.
- Wickman, D. D., Tanin, K. V., Senecal, P. K., Reitz, R. D., Gebert, K., Barkhimer, R. L. and Beck, N. J., “Methods and Results from the Development of a 2600 Bar Diesel Fuel Injection System,” SAE 2000-01-0947, 2000.
- Montgomery, D. T., Ph.D. Thesis (in preparation), University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2000.
- Affes, H., Trigui, N., Smith D. and Griaznov, V., “Shape Optimization of IC Engine Ports and Chambers,” SAE 980127, 1998.
- Pilley, A. D., Beaumont, A. J., Robinson, D. R. and Mowll D., “Design of Experiments for Optimization of Engines to Meet Future Emissions Targets,” 27th Int. Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation, ISATA Paper 94ENO14, 1994.
- Carroll, D. L., “Chemical Laser Modeling with Genetic Algorithms,” AIAA Journal, 34, 338, 1996.
- Coello Coello, C. A., Christiansen, A. D. and Santos Hernandez, F., “A Simple Genetic Algorithm for the Design of Reinforced Concrete Beams,” Engineering with Computers, 13, 185, 1997.
- Edwards, S. P., Pilley, A. D., Michon, S. and Fournier, G., “The Optimization of Common Rail FIE Equipped Engines Through the use of Statistical Experimental Design, Mathematical Modelling and Genetic Algorithms,” SAE 970346, 1997.
- Krishnakumar, K., “Micro-Genetic Algorithms for Stationary and Non-Stationary Function Optimization,” SPIE 1196, Intelligent Control and Adaptive Systems, 1989.
- Carroll, D. L., “Genetic Algorithms and Optimizing Chemical Oxygen-Iodine Lasers,” Developments in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 18, 411, 1996.
- De Jong, K. A., “An Analysis of the Behavior of a Class of Genetic Adaptive Systems,” Ph.D. Thesis, University of Michigan, 1975.
- Han, Z and Reitz, R. D., “Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines Using k-ε Models,” Combust. Sci. and Tech., 106, 267, 1995.
- Han, Z. and Reitz, R. D., “A Temperature Wall Function Formulation for Variable-Density Turbulence Flows with Application to Engine Convective Heat Transfer Modeling,” Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 40, 613, 1997.
- Sarre, C., Kong, S.-C. and Reitz, R. D., “Modeling the Effects of Injector Nozzle Geometry on Diesel Sprays,” SAE 1999-01-0912, 1999.
- Rutland, C. J., Eckhause, J., Hampson, G., Hessel, R., Kong, S., Patterson, M., Pierpont, D., Sweetland, P., Tow, T. and Reitz, R. D., “Toward Predictive Modeling of Diesel Engine Intake Flow, Combustion, and Emission,s” SAE 941897, 1994.
- Halstead, M., Kirsh, L. and Quinn, C., “The Autoignition of Hydrocarbon Fuels at High Temperatures and Pressures - Fitting of a Mathematical Model,” Combust. Flame, 30, 45, 1977.
- Kong, S.-C., Han, Z. and Reitz, R. D., “The Development and Application of a Diesel Ignition and Combustion Model for Multidimensional Engine Simulation,” SAE 950278, 1995.
- Hiroyasu, H. and Kadota, T., “Models for Combustion and Formation of Nitric Oxide and Soot in DI Diesel Engines,” SAE 760129, 1976.
- Nagle, J. and Strickland-Constable, R. F., “Oxidation of Carbon Between 1000-2000 C,” Proc. of the Fifth Carbon Conf., 1, 154, 1962.
- Bowman, C. T., “Kinetics of Pollutant Formation and Destruction in Combustion,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., 1, 33, 1975.
- Zhu, Y. and Reitz, R. D., “A 1-D Gas Dynamics Code for Subsonic and Supersonic Flows Applied to Predict EGR Levels in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” Int. J. of Vehicle Design, 22, 227, 1999.
- Pierpont, D. A. and Reitz, R. D., “Effects of Injection Pressure and Nozzle Geometry on D. I. Diesel Emissions and Performance,” SAE 950604, 1995.
- Tanin, K. V., Wickman, D. D., Montgomery, D. T., Das, S. and Reitz, R. D., “The Influence of Boost Pressure on Emissions and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy-Duty Single-Cylinder D. I. Diesel Engine,” SAE 1999-01-0840, 1999.
- Thiel, M., private communication, 1999.
- Choi, C. Y. and Reitz, R. D., “An Experimental Study on the Effects of Oxygenated Fuel Blends and Multiple Injection Strategies on DI Diesel Engine Emissions,” Fuel, 78, 1303, 1999.