This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Injection Changes on Efficiency and Emissions of a Diesel Engine Fueled by Direct Injection of Natural Gas
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 19, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Measurements of performance and emissions of a Detroit Diesel 1-71 engine fueled with natural gas have been made using high-pressure direct-injection (HPDI). Natural gas is injected late in the compression cycle preceded by pilot injection of conventional liquid diesel fuel.
With 6 nozzle holes for both natural gas and diesel pilot there was instability in engine operation at low load and wide scatter in emission measurements. Guided by numerical simulation results it was found experimentally that data reproducibility and engine operating stability could both be much improved by using unequal jet numbers for injection of natural gas and pilot diesel.
In the range of 100 to 160 bar, combustion rate and NOx emissions increased with gas injection pressure. Best thermal efficiency results were obtained for a gas pressure of 130 bar. By adjusting beginning of injection, NOx reductions of up to 60 % from the diesel baseline could be obtained, while preserving conventional diesel efficiency. Over the BOI and load range of study, longer relative injection delay gives lower NOx emissions and improved thermal efficiency.
CitationDumitrescu, S., Hill, P., Li, G., and Ouellette, P., "Effects of Injection Changes on Efficiency and Emissions of a Diesel Engine Fueled by Direct Injection of Natural Gas," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1805, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1805.
- Song, S. and Hill, P. G., “Dual-Fuelling of a Prechamber Diesel Engine with Natural Gas”, ASME Technical Paper 85-DGP-3, presented at the Energy-Sources and Technology Conference and Exhibition, Dallas, Texas - February 17-21, 1985
- Li, G., Ouellette, P., Dumitrescu, S. and Hill, P.G., “Optimization Study of Pilot-Ignited Natural Gas Direct-Injection in Diesel Engines”, SAE Paper 99FL-474
- Hodgins, K.B., Gunawan, H. and Hill, P.G., “Intensifier-Injector for Natural Gas Fueling of Diesel Engines”, SAE Paper 921553
- Hodgins, K.B., Hill, P.G., Ouellette, P. and Hung, P., “Directly Injected Natural Gas Fueling of Diesel Engines”, SAE Technical Paper No. 961671
- Ouellette, P. and Hill, P.G., “Visualization of Natural Gas Injection for a Compression Ignition Engine”, SAE Technical Paper No. 921555
- Meyers, D., Bourn, G., Hedrick, J. and Kubesh, T., “Evaluation of Six Natural Gas Combustion Systems for LNG Locomotive Applications”, SAE Technical Paper No. 972967
- Sarsten, A., Einang, P., Hansen, T. and Koren, S., “Dual-Fuel Diesels Reviewed - New Design Burning Gas and Oil in any Ratio at Higher Efficiencies”, Conference Paper, Gastech 82, October 5-8, 1982, Paris, France
- Einang, P., Koren, S., Kvamsdal, T., Hansen, T and Sarsten, A, “High-Pressure, Digitally Controlled Injection of Gaseous Fuel in a Diesel Engine, with Special Reference to Boil-Off from LNG Tankers”, CIMAC 1983, Conference Proceedings, Paris, France, June 1983
- Miake, M., Biwa, T., Endoh, Y., Shimotsu, M., Murakami, S. and Komoda, T., “The Development of High Output, Highly Efficient Gas Burning Engine”, CIMAC '83, Conference Proceedings, Paris, France, June 1983
- Miake, M., Endoh, Y., Biwa, T., Mizuhara, S., Grone, O. and Pedersen, P.S, “Recent Development of Gas Injection Diesel Engines”, Paper D61, CIMAC '87 Conference Proceedings, Warsaw, Poland, 1987
- Biwa, T., Beppu, O., Pedersen, P.S, Grone, O., Schnohr, O. and Fogh, M., “Development of the 28/32 Gas Injection Engine”, ISME Kobe, Kobe, 1990
- Wakenell, J., O'Neal, G. and Baker, Q., “High-Pressure Late Cycle Direct Injection of Natural Gas in a Rail Medium Speed Engine”, SAE Technical Paper 872041, International Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition, Toronto, Ontario, Nov 2-5, 1987
- Tao. Y., Hodgins, K.B. and Hill, P.G., “NOx Emissions from a Diesel Engine Fueled with Natural Gas”, Transactions of the ASME, Vol. 117, December 1995
- Mtui, L.P. and Hill, P.G., “Ignition Delay and Combustion Duration with Natural Gas Fueling of Diesel Engines, SAE Technical Paper No. 961933
- Meyers, D., Hedrick, J., Bourn, G. and Kubesh, T., “Development of the LaCHIP Combustion Technology”, ASME Paper No. 99-ICE-153, ICE-Vol. 31-3, 1998 Fall Technical Conference, ASME 1998
- Bourn, G., Meyers, D., Hedrick, J. and Kubesh, T., “Multi-Cylinder Development of the Lachip Combustion Technology”, ASME Paper No. 97-ICE-154, ICE-Vol. 31-3, 1998 ASME Fall Technical Conference
- Fukuda, T., Komoda, T., Furushima, K., Yanagihara, M. and Ito, Y, “Development of the Highly Efficient Gas Injection Diesel Engine with Glow Plug Ignition Assist for Cogeneration Systems”, Proceedings of the 1993JSME-ASME International Conference on Power Engineering, Tokyo, Japan, Sept. 12-16, 1993
- Ikeda, K., Hashimoto, T., Sumie, Y., Ishibashi, K., Komoda, T. and Beppu, O., “Development of the Highly Efficient Gas Injection Diesel Engine”, IGRC '95, Cannes, France, 1995
- Douville, B., Ouellette, P., Touchette, A. and Ursu, B., “Performance and Emissions of a Two-Stroke Diesel Engine Fueled Using High-Pressure Direct Injection of Natural Gas”, SAE Technical Paper No. 981160
- Tao, Y., “Performance and Emissions Characteristics of a Gas-Diesel Engine”, M.A. Sc. Thesis, University of British Columbia, Canada, August 1993.
- Heywood, J.B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw Hill, 1988
- Hill, P.G. and Ouellette, P., “Transient Turbulent Gaseous Fuel Jets for Diesel Engines”, ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, March 1999, Vol. 121
- Montgomery, D. and Rietz, R., “Six-Mode Cycle Evaluation of the Effect of EGR and Multiple Injections on Particulate and NOx Emissions from a D.I. Diesel Engine”, SAE Technical Paper, International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan, Feb. 26-29, 1996
- Hill, P.G. and Douville, B., “Relating Burning Rate and NO Formation to Pressure Development in Two-Stroke Diesel Engines”, Journal of Energy Resources Technology, Vol. 119, June 1997
- Hodgins, K.B., Mtui, L.P., “Evaluation of PCB Pressure Transducers”, unpublished technical paper, University of British Columbia, Canada, June 1994
- Douville, B., “Performance, Emissions and Combustion Characteristics of Natural Gas Fueling of Diesel Engines”, M.A.Sc. Thesis, University of British Columbia, Canada, April 1994.
- “1992 SAE handbook Volume 3”, Society of Automotive Engineers, 1992
- Hodgins, K.B. and Mtui, L.P., “Evaluation of PCB Pressure Transducers”, UBC Technical Report, Unpublished, June 1994
- Beck, N., Johnson, W., George, A., Petersen, P., van der Lee, B. and Klopp, G., “Electronic Fuel Injection for Dual Fuel Diesel Methane”, SAE Technical Paper 891652, Future Transportation Technology Conference and Exposition, Vancouver, BC, Canada, August 7-10, 1989