This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterisation of the Injection-Combustion Process in a Common Rail D.I. Diesel Engine Running with Sasol Fischer-Tropsch Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 19, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Regulatory standards on diesel engines emissions will decidedly become more restrictive in coming years. This has led to the development and implementation of alternative fuels. The objective of this paper is to evaluate the potential of Sasol Fischer-Tropsch (FT) diesel fuel to improve the reduction of emissions in a direct injection diesel engine with a high pressure common-rail injection system (HDI engine from PSA Peugeot-Citroën). In principle, FT diesel fuel shows significant advantages in reducing emissions over a standard diesel fuel due to its low aromaticity, high cetane rating and high H/C rating.
Initial tests with two 406 HDI Euro 2 vehicles with standard calibration showed very favourable trends on exhaust emissions in comparaison with reference fuel (CEC RF73-A-93 type). Sasol FT diesel fuel gave significant improvement on specific fuel consumption, and decreased the HC, CO, CO2 and particulate emissions without degrading NOx emissions.
A subsequent comprehension study, performed on a single cylinder HDI diesel engine, has confirmed the trends observed in the vehicle tests, and allowed us to investigate and explain the physical phenomena involved in both injection and combustion processes that produce the trends observed.
Those two parts of the study (HDI vehicle tests and spray test rig plus HDI single cylinder understanding studies) show the great potential of FT diesel fuel used in a HDI engine with standard calibrations in terms of reducing global exhaust emissions. Furthermore, trends have been identified to improve even more this favourable balance by adapting calibrations to the FT fuel.
- Gérard Belot - PSA Peugeot Citroën
- Alain Delage - PSA Peugeot Citroën
- Francisco Payri - Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
- Jean Arrègle - Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
- Carlos Fenollosa - Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
- Paul Schaberg - Sasol Oil
- Ian Myburgh - Sasol Oil
- Johan Botha - Sasol Oil
CitationPayri, F., Arrègle, J., Fenollosa, C., Belot, G. et al., "Characterisation of the Injection-Combustion Process in a Common Rail D.I. Diesel Engine Running with Sasol Fischer-Tropsch Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1803, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1803.
- Atkinson C. et al. “In-Cylinder Combustion Pressure Characteristics of Fischer-Tropsch and Conventional Diesel Fuels in a Heavy Duty CI Engine” SAE paper 1999-01-1472 1999
- Schaberg P.W. et al. “Diesel Exhaust Emissions Using Sasol Slurry Phase Distillate Process Fuels” SAE paper 972898 1997
- Suppes G. et al. “Type Performance of Fischer-Tropsch Liquids (FTL) in Modified Off-Highway Diesel Engine Test Cycle” SAE paper 1999-01-1474 1999
- Clark N. et al. “Transient Emissions Comparisons of Alternative Compression Ignition Fuels” SAE paper 1999-01-1117 1999
- Schaberg P.W. et al. “An Overview of the Production, Properties, and Exhaust Emissions Performance of Sasol Slurry Phase Distillate Diesel Fuel” 2nd International Colloquium on Fuels Technische Akademie Esslingen 1999
- Morgan P.M. et al. “Some Comparative Chemical, Physical and Compatibility Properties of Sasol Slurry Phase Distillate Diesel Fuel” SAE Paper 982488 1998
- Desantes J.M. Arrègle J. Pastor J.V. “Influence of the Fuel Characteristics on the Injection Process in a D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE paper 980802 1998
- Payri F. et al. “Thermodynamic Model for the Experimental Diagnostics of the Combustion Process in D.I. Diesel Engines” Proc. III Congreso Iberoamericano de Ingeniería Mecánica La Habana, Cuba
- Pastor J.V. Encabo E. Ruiz S. “New Modelling Approach for Fast Online Calculations in Sprays” SAE paper 00P-286 2000
- Arrègle J. Pastor J.V. Ruiz S. “The Influence of Injection Parameters on Diesel Spray Characteristics” SAE paper 1999-01-0200 1999
- Desantes J.M. et al. “Characterisation of the Injection-Combustion Process in a DI Diesel Engine Running with Rape Oil Methyl Ester” SAE Paper 1999-01-1497 1999
- Desantes J.M. et al. “Characterisation of the Injection-Combustion Process in a Common-Rail DI Diesel Engine Running with Fuel-Water Emulsion” STA99C407, EAEC European Automotive Congress Barcelona 1999
- Siebers D.L. “Scaling Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays Based on Mixing-Limited Vaporization” SAE Paper 1999-01-0528 1999