This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spatially Resolved Air–Fuel Ratio and Residual Gas Measurements by Spontaneous Raman Scattering in a Firing Direct Injection Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 19, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Single–cycle air–fuel ratio (AFR) and residual gas content of the fresh charge have been measured in a firing spark ignition engine with direct fuel injection. Various engine parameter sets concerning mixture formation have been compared. The measurement setup is sensitive enough to resolve cyclic deviations of spatial air–fuel ratio gradients. This has been achieved by Linear Raman Scattering (LRS), that is performed along a line (1D LRS) in the combustion chamber of the IC engine using a spatially resolving optical multichannel analyzer as the detector.
The present work aims to investigate the feasibility and accuracy of such measurements under approximately realistic conditions. The combustion chamber of the engine has been slightly modified for optical access, so that its shape is still very similar to realistic engines. The engine has been operated at homogeneous load conditions with a multi–component model fuel. Potential sources of inaccuracy of the single–cycle LRS measurements, such as photon statistical noise and LIF interferences from PAHs (polyaromatic hydrocarbons), are discussed and quantified in detail. Further information on the achieved spatial resolution is also given.
- M. Schütte - Faculty of Physics, University of Bielefeld
- H. Finke - Faculty of Physics, University of Bielefeld
- G. Grünefeld - Faculty of Physics, University of Bielefeld
- S. Krüger - Faculty of Physics, University of Bielefeld
- P. Andresen - Faculty of Physics, University of Bielefeld
- B. Stiebels - Research and Development, Volkswagen AG
- B. Block - Research and Development, Volkswagen AG
- H. Meyer - Research and Development, Volkswagen AG
- W. Hentschel - Research and Development, Volkswagen AG
CitationSchütte, M., Finke, H., Grünefeld, G., Krüger, S. et al., "Spatially Resolved Air–Fuel Ratio and Residual Gas Measurements by Spontaneous Raman Scattering in a Firing Direct Injection Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1795, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1795.
SAE 2000 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V109-4 ; Published: 2001-09-15
Number: V109-4 ; Published: 2001-09-15
- Zhao, H., Ladomnatos, N., 1998, Optical Diagnostics for In–Cylinder Mixture Formation Measurements in IC Engines, Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 24, 297–336.
- Rothe E., Andresen P., 1997, Application of Tunable Excimer Lasers to Combustion Diagnostics: a Review, Applied Optics 36 (18), 3971–4033, 1996.
- Grünefeld, G., Beushausen, V., Andresen, P., and Hentschel, W., 1994, Spatially Resolved Raman Scattering for Multi–Species and Temperature Analysis in Technically Applied Combustion Systems: Spray Flame and Four–Cylinder In–Line Engine, Appl. Phys. B 58, 333–342
- Grünefeld, G., 1994, Laser Diagnostics Applied to Practical Combustion and Flow Systems, Doctoral Dissertation, Cuvillier Verlag Göttingen, ISBN 3–89588–141–4, 1994.
- Knapp, M., Beushausen, V., Hentschel, W., Manz, P., Grünefeld, G., Andresen, P., In–Cylinder Mixture Formation Analysis with Spontaneous Raman Scattering Applied to a Mass–Production SI Engine, SAE Paper 970827, 1997.
- Johnston, S. C., An Experimental Investigation into the Application of Spontaneous Raman Scattering To Spray Measurements in an Engine, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, California.
- Rabenstein, F., Egermann, J., Leipertz, A., Quantitative Analysis of Vapour Phase Structures in Transient Liquid Fuel Sprays, Fourth International Symposium COMODIA 98 (1998).
- Schütte, M., Grünefeld, G., Andresen, P., Hentschel, W., Homburg, A., Nassif, D., Fuel/Air–Ratio Measurements in Direct Injection Gasoline Sprays using 1D Raman Scattering, accepted for publication, 2000 SAE International Congress, Detroit
- Richter, M., Franke, A., Aldén, M., Hultqvist, A., Johannson, B. Optical Diagnostics Applied to a Naturally Aspirated Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine. SAE Paper 1999–01–3649, 1999.
- Grünefeld, G., Knapp, M., Beushausen, V., In–Cylinder Measurements and Analysis on Fundamental Cold Start and Warm–up Phenomena of SI Engines, SAE Paper 952394, 1995.
- Heinze, T., Schmidt, T., Fuel–Air Ratios in a Spray, Determined between Injection and Autoignition by Pulsed Spontaneous Raman Spectroscopy, SAE Paper 892102, 1989
- Mewes, B., Bauer, G., Brüggemann, D., 1999, Fuel vapor measurements by linear Raman spectroscopy using spectral discrimination from droplet interferences, Appl. Opt. 38 (6), 1040.
- Müller, T., Grünefeld, G., Beushausen, V., High–precision measurement of the temperature of methanol and ethanol droplets using spontaneous Raman scattering, Appl. Phys. B 69, 1–4 (1999)
- Johnston, S. C., 1980, Raman Spectroscopy and Flow Visualization Study of Stratified Charge Engine Combustion, SAE Paper 800136
- Johnston, S. C., Precombustion Fuel/Air Distribution in a Stratified Charge Engine using Laser Raman Spectroscopy, 1979 SAE Paper 790433
- Ipp W., Wagner V., Egermann J., Leipertz A., Analyse der Ladungsschichtung in der Benzindirekteinspritzung (BDE) mittels mehrdimensionaler Lasermeßtechnik, 4. Internationales Symposium für Verbrennungsdiagnostik (18.–19.05.2000, Baden–Baden, Germany)
- Eckbreth A. C., 1987, Laser Diagnostics for Combustion Temperature and Species, Abacus Press, Tunbridge Wells, Kent.
- Grünefeld, G., Beushausen, V., Andresen, P., Interference–free UV–laser–induced Raman and Rayleigh measurements in hydrocarbon combustion using polarization properties, Applied Physics B 61, 473–478 (1995)
- Schrötter, H.W., Klöckner, H.W. 1979, Raman Spectroscopy of Gases and Liquids (ed. by Weber A.), 123–166.
- Long, D. A., Raman Spectroscopy, New York, McGraw–Hill, 1977, ISBN 0–07–038675–7
- LE COZ, J.–F., Comparison of different Drop Sizing Techniques on Direct Injection Gasoline Sprays, Institute Francais du Pétrole, Rueil–Malmaison, France
- Knapp, M., Luczak, A., Schlüter, H., Beushausen, V., Hentschel, W., Andresen, P., Crank–angle–resolved laser–induced fluorescence imaging of NO in a spark–ignition engine at 248 nm and correlations to flame front propagation and pressure release, Applied Optics, Vol. 35, No. 21, 1996.