This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of an Optical Direct Injection S.I. Engine Using Fuel-Air Ratio Laser Induced Fluorescence
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 19, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To provide fuel/air ratio quantitative measurements in an S.I engines, a transparent cylinder engine is investigated with the Fuel-Air Ratio Laser Induced Fluorescence (FARLIF) technique. In a homogeneous mixture, the two dimensional distribution for the fuel/air ratio is calibrated and measured during the compression stroke for different equivalence ratios. After spark ignition, the combustion zone and the flame front are visualized by laser sheet LIF.
The direct-injection stratified-charge, new concept for gasoline engines is investigated with FARLIF. In the direct injection gasoline engine where the fuel is directly injected into a cylinder and the flow is highly turbulent, two injection timings are used: -early injection (i.e. during the intake stroke) to promote a homogeneous distribution; -late injection during the compression stroke, to generate a ultra-lean stratified charge. While the early fuel injection shows a homogeneous vapor phase during the compression stroke, the late injection shows a stratified mode with the presence of both liquid and vapor phases.
CitationSacadura, J., Robin, L., Dionnet, F., Gervais, D. et al., "Experimental Investigation of an Optical Direct Injection S.I. Engine Using Fuel-Air Ratio Laser Induced Fluorescence," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1794, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1794.
- Reboux J., Puechberty D., DionnetF. “A new approach of planar laser induced fluorescence applied to fuel/air ratio measurement in the compression stroke of an optical S.I Engine” SAE paper 941988, 1994.
- Reboux J., Puechberty D., DionnetF. “Study of mixture inhomogeneities and combustion development in S.I Engine using a new approach of laser induced fluorescence (FARLIF)” SAE paper 961205, 1996
- Brunt Michael F.J., Emtage Andrew L. “Evaluation of burn rate routines and analysis errors” SAE paper 970037, 1997
- Reboux J. “Une nouvelle approche de la fluorescence induite par laser pour la détermination de la richesse à haute pression. Application à l'étude de la combustion dans un moteur à allumage commandé” PhD thesis, University of Rouen, 1995
- Zhao F., Lai M.-C., Harrington D.L. “Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines” Progress in energy and combustion science 25, 1999
- Zhao H. and Ladommatos N. “Optical diagnostic for in-cylinder mixture formation measurements in IC engines” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. Vol 24, pp 297-336, 1998
- Nogi Toshiharu et AL “Stability improvement of direct fuel injection engine under lean combustion operation” SAE paper 982703, 1998
- Krämer Heinz, Einecke Svenja, Schulz C., Sick Volker, Nattras Steve R. and Kitching John S. “Simultaneous mapping of the distribution of different fuel volatility classes using tracer LIF and NIR-tomography in an IC engine” SAE paper 982467, 1998
- Oshuga M., Shiraishi T., Nogi T., Nakayaman Y. and Sukegawa Y. “Mixture preparation for direct-injection SI engines” SAE paper 970542, 1997
- SalterD., WilliamsP.; GreigA., BrehodD. “Fuel spray characterization within an optically accessed gasoline direct injection engine using CCCD imaging system” SAE SP 1177 961149, 1996
- Zhao Hui, Yang X., Zhou L.,LuiS. “An investigation of a new type direct injection stratified charge combustion system for gasoline engine” SAE SP 1177 961150, 1996
- Preussner C., Döring C., Felher S. and Kapmann S. “GDI: interaction between mixture preparation, combustion system and injector performance” SAE paper 980498
- Heywood John B. “Internal combustion engine fundamentals”
- LedoyenS., DumouchelC., Preterre C “Experimental investigation on the characteristics and the reproducibility of the flow issuing from a high-pressure direct-injection” SAE 1999-01-3655, SP-1475 Gas direct-injection 1999
- Zhao Fu-Quan, Lai Ming-Chia Harrington David L. “A review of mixture preparation and combustion control strategies for spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines” SAE 970627