This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Package Bearings to Improve Driveline Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 19, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Truck & Bus Meeting & Exposition CEC/SAE Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exposition
The tapered roller bearings employed in axle centers for the pinion support are critical components in determining the noise, fuel economy and reliability characteristics of the vehicle. They represent a relatively complex mechanical and tribological system, with special requirements from the stiffness, lubrication and heat transfer points of view.
This paper brings a contribution to the investigation of the intricate dependency between design parameters, environmental factors and the resultant performance of a package bearing in an integral double cup configuration. Axial compactness, reduced weight, and superior rigidity are only few of the multiple advantages recommending this type of double row bearings for automotive driveline applications.
Different aspects related to the tapered roller bearing setting are analyzed in a theoretical and experimental manner, also under the consideration of the manufacturing and assembly processes. The pinion package bearing is evaluated in a total system approach, which includes the interaction with the axle housing, shafts, gears and lubricants and seals.
CitationGradu, M. and Batereau, K., "Investigation of Package Bearings to Improve Driveline Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1785, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1785.
- Houpert L. Merckling J. “A successful transition from physically measured to numerically simulated bearings, shafts, gears and housing deflections in a transmission” The Timken Company Global Powertrain Congress Detroit October 1998
- Gradu M. “Tapered Roller Bearings with Improved Efficiency and High Power Density for Automotive Transmissions” The Timken Company SAE paper 2000-01-1154
- Litivin F.L. Chen Ningxin Chen Jui-Sheng Lu Jian Handschuh R.F. “Computerized Design and Generation of Low-Noise Gears With Localized Bearing Contact” NASA Technical Memorandum 106880
- Leibensperger R.L. “So you think you know all about bearing preload” The Timken Company Machine Design Cleveland August 1972
- Zhou R. S. Hoeprich M. R. “Torque of Tapered Roller Bearings” The Timken Company Transactions of ASME 113 July 1991
- Witte D. C. Hill H. E. “Tapered Roller Bearing Torque Characteristics with Emphasis on Rib-Roller End Contact” The Timken Company SAE paper 871984
- Peterson M.B. Winer W.O. Wear Control Handbook ASME 1980
- Harris T.A. “Rolling Bearing Analysis” Third Wiley Interscience New York 1990