This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis and Design of Limited Bandwidth Active Hydropneumatic Vehicle Suspension Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the analysis and design of a hydropneumatic limited bandwidth active suspension system. The design is based on hydropneumatic suspension components taken from an existing European saloon.
Mathematical modeling based on the well-known quarter car model is used to compare the performance of the proposed suspension with both the baseline passive system and an idealised fully active system. Practical features, such as actuator time delays and self-levelling controllers, are included in the model of fully active suspension system, and of the limited bandwidth suspension respectively. The controller design for the proposed suspension is based on limited state feedback, and the Nelder-Mead simplex algorithm was used to calculate the gains to optimise the performance index.
Overall, the performance of the proposed system appears to be nearly as good as that of the idealised fully active system. Further experimental work is now planned in order to verify the results and to investigate the influence of time delays on the practical performance of the controlled suspension.
CitationAbdelhaleem, A. and Crolla, D., "Analysis and Design of Limited Bandwidth Active Hydropneumatic Vehicle Suspension Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1631, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1631.
SAE 2000 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V109-6; Published: 2001-09-15
Number: V109-6; Published: 2001-09-15
- Sharp, R.S. Crolla, D. A. 1987 “Road Vehicle suspension system design- a review” Vehicle system Dynamic 16 1987 167 192
- Wilson, D.A. Sharp, R.S. Hassan, S.A. 1986 “Application of linear Optimal Control Theory to the Design of Automobile Suspensions” Vehicle System Dynamics 15 1986 103 118
- Goodall, R .M Kortum, W Active Control in Ground Transportation Vehicle System Dynamics 12 1983
- Williams, R. A. Petersen, A Rahulan, T “Controlled Suspension Systems” ICSE Coventry 1988
- Hedrick, J.K Invariant Properties of Automotive Suspensions” Inst Mech Eng C423/88 1988
- Williams, R A Miller S.A “Power Consumption in Automotive Active suspensions” ICSE conference Covely 1994 1405 1414
- Williams, R. A. Best, A Crawford, I. L. “Refined Low Frequency Active Suspension” IMechE1997 C466/028 285 300
- Williams, R.A 1994 “Electronically Controlled Automotive Suspensions IEE Computing & Control Engineering Journal June 1994 143 148
- Sharp, R. S. Hassan, S. A. 1987 “On the Performance Capabilities of Active Automobile Suspension Systems of Limited Bandwidth” Vehicle System Dynamics 16 1987 213 225
- Elbeheiry, E Karnopp D Elaraby M. Abdelraaouf, A. 1996 “Sub optimal Control Design of Active and Passive Suspension Based on a Full Car Model” Vehicle System Dynamics 26 1996 197 222
- Purdy, D.J Bulman, D.N. 1997 “An experimental and theoretical investigation into the design of an active suspension system for a racing car” Proc Inst Mech Engrs 211
- Robson. J.D. 1978 “Road surface description and vehicle response” Int J. of Veh. Des. 7 153 162
- Sharp, R.S Hassan S.A. 1986 “The relative performance capabilities of passive, active and semi-active car suspension systems” Proc Inst Mech Engrs 200 D3
- Elbehery, E Karnopp, D. Elaraby, M. Abdelraaouf, A. 1995 “Advanced Ground Vehicle Suspension Systems-A Classified Bibliography” Vehicle system dynamics 24 1995 231 258
- Shuttlewood, D.W. “Practical Car Suspensions Employing Active and Semi-active Elements” 1993 Leeds University UK
- Eldemerdash, S. M. “Performance of Limited Bandwidth Active Suspension Based on a Half Car Model” SAE 1998, Conference
- Pilbeam, C. Sharp, R.S. 1996 “Performance Enhancement By Control Law Adaptation in Slow-Active Road Vehicle Suspensions” Vehicle System Dynamics Supplement 25 1996 533 546
- Webb, A.C. Burnham James, D.J.G. Williams, R.A. “A Study of Low Bandwidth Active Suspension Systems” 1995 IFAC Advanced in Automotive Control Ascona Switzerland 1995
- Burrows, C.R. “Fluid Power Servomechanisms” Van Nostrand Reinhold London 1972
- Hydraulic Components User Manual Mannesmann Rexroth Gmbh
- Thompson, A.G. 1976 “An Active Suspension with Optimal Linear State Feedback” Vehicle System Dynamics 5 1976 187 203
- Bryson, A.E. Ho, Y.C. “Applied Optimal Control, Optimisation, Estimation and Control.” New york John Wiley and Sons
- Kou, B. 1975 “Automatic control systems” Englewood Cliffs London Prentice-Hall
- Matlab Software Toolbox 1993
- Numerical Methods for Engineers: with programming and software applications Boston, Mas.London WCB Mc Graw-Hill 1998
- Newland, D.E. Random vibration and spectral analysis” 2nd Longman London 1988