This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Steering and Suspension Test and Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper will discuss the various tools used to measure the steering and suspension properties of a vehicle. Measuring the kinematic and compliance properties of the steering and suspension systems is an important part of the vehicle development process. Some of the ways these measurements are used include confirmation of vehicle design and build, to create and correlate CAE models, and for diagnosis of steering and handling concerns.
Understanding exactly how the steering and suspension systems are performing is an important step in the development process. We have found that by employing the proper tools and methods, plus having a defined vehicle dynamics fingerprint process, that most issues and concerns can be successfully resolved.
CitationVan Gorder, K., David, T., and Basas, J., "Steering and Suspension Test and Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1626, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1626.
- Gorder Van, k., JanitorW. A., “Effective In-Vehicle Acquisition”, Ford Motor Co. and Menjoulet, S.; Datappli Inc., SAE Paper 981076, February1998.
- CoovertDavid A., Guenther, Dennis A.; Ohio State University,“Design and Operation of a New-Type Suspension Parameter Measurement Device”, S.E.A., Inc.; Chen, H. Fred; S.E.A., Inc.; SAE Paper 920048,, February1992.
- Janitor,W. A.,Van Gorder,K.,“The Advantages of Using Standard Vehicle Dynamics Procedures and Analysis Programs”, Ford Motor Co., SAE Paper 981077, February1998.
- Jenniges Randal L.,“The Application of Optical Methods in Vehicle Suspension Kinematics and Compliance Measurement”, MTS Systems Corp., “ JSAE Paper 958500, November1995.
- McGuan, Shawn P.;Modeling Vehicle Suspension Structural Compliance at Ford Motor Co. Using a Coupling of ADAMS\sT and MSC/ Nastran\sT”, Mechanical Dynamics Inc.; Pintar, Steven C.; Ford Motor Co., SAE Paper 941118, April1994.