This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Non-Linear Analysis of Vehicle Dynamics (NAVDyn): A Reduced Order Model for Vehicle Handling Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many vehicle-dynamics models exist to study the motion of a vehicle. Most of these models fall into one of two categories: very simple models for basic analyses and high-order models consisting of many degrees-of-freedom. For many scenarios, the simple models are not adequate. At the same time, for many vehicle handling and braking studies, the high-order models are more complex than necessary. This paper presents a model that includes the dynamics that are relevant to studying vehicle handling and braking, but is still simple enough to run in near real-time. The model was implemented in such a way that it is easily customized for a particular study. Predictions from this simplified model were compared against a high-order model and against actual vehicle test data. The simulations indicate a close agreement in the results.
CitationDemerly, J. and Youcef-Toumi, K., "Non-Linear Analysis of Vehicle Dynamics (NAVDyn): A Reduced Order Model for Vehicle Handling Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1621, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1621.
- Demerly,J.D., “Emergency Braking Using Two Independent Steering Actuators While Maintaining Directional Control”, S.M. Thesis, Mechanical Engineering Department, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, June 2000.
- Demerly,J.D. and Youcef-Toumi, K., “Customizable Implementation of a Reduced-Order Model for Vehicle-Handling Analysis of Automobiles”, Proceedings of IASTED International Conference on Modeling, Identification and Control, Innsbruck, Austria, February2000.
- “Vehicle Dynamics Terminology”, SAE J670e,1978.
- Allen, R.W., Rosenthal, T.J., and Chrstos,J.P., “A Vehicle Dynamics Tire Model for Both Pavement and Off-Road Conditions”, SAE Paper 970559, 1997.
- Allen,R.W.,Magdaleno,R.E., Rosenthal,T.J., Klyde,D.H. and Hogue,J.R., “Tire Modeling Requirements for Vehicle Dynamics Simulation”, SAE Paper 950312, 1995.
- Bernard,J.E. and Clover,C.L., “Tire Modeling for Low-Speed and High-Speed Calculations”, SAE Paper 950311, 1995.
- MATLAB“ Reference Guide, The Mathworks, Inc.,May 1997.
- Chrstos,J.P. and Grygier,P.A., “Instrumentation and Field Testing of 1994 Ford Taurus GL for NADSdyna Evaluation”, NHTSA Draft Report1996.
- Chrstos,J.P., “Parameter Measurement and Computation Procedures for 1994 Ford Taurus GL”, NHTSA Draft Report, 1996.
- Chrstos,J.P., “Evaluation of the VDANL and VDM RoaD Vehicle Dynamics Simulations”, NHTSA Draft Report, 1996.
- “CarSim“”User Reference Manual, Version 4.0.2, Mechanical Simulation Corporation, September 1997.
- Heydinger,G.J., Grygier,P.A., and Lee,S., “Pulse Testing Techniques Applied to Vehicle Handling Dynamics”, SAE Paper 930828, 1993.