This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Front Bump Steer Using Design of Experiments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
At the initial design stage of a new vehicle, chassis layout has the most important influence on overall vehicle performance. Most chassis designers have achieved target performances by trial and error as well as by individual know-how. Accordingly, a general procedure for automatically determining the optimum location of suspension hard points with respect to the kinematic characteristics needs to be created. In this paper, a method to optimize the toe angle in the double wishbone-type front suspension of a four-wheel-drive vehicle is presented using design of experiments, multibody dynamic simulation, and an optimum design program. The handling performances of two full vehicle models having the initial and the optimized toe angle are compared using a simulation of a single lane change maneuver. Front and rear suspensions are modeled as rigid bodies connected by kinematic joints using DADS. The derivatives of design variables with respect to the kinematic characteristics are obtained through experimental design sensitivity analysis using the perturbation method. An object function is defined in terms of the toe angle. Through design of experiments and regression analysis, the regression model function of the toe angle is obtained. The design variables having the optimized toe angle are obtained using the optimum design program DOT. A single lane change simulation and test of the full vehicle model are carried out to evaluate the handling performances of the vehicle with the toe angle optimized. The results of the lane change simulation show that the optimized vehicle has the improved handling performances compared with the initial vehicle.
CitationSuh, K., Lee, Y., and Yoon, H., "Optimization of Front Bump Steer Using Design of Experiments," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1617, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1617.
- Haug E. J., Wehage R. A., and Mani N. K., “Design Sensitivity Analysis of Large-Scale Constrained Dynamic Mechanical Systems”, Trans. ASME, J. of Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design, Vol. 106, pp. 156∼162, 1984.
- Min H. K., Tak T. O., and Lee J. M., “Kinematic Design Sensitivity Analysis of Suspension Systems Using Direct Differentiation”(in Korean), J. KSAE, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 38∼48, 1997.
- Moon H. K., “Kinematic Sensitivity Analysis in Vehicle Suspension System”(in Korean), J. KSAE, Vol. 3, No.4, pp.126∼138, 1995.
- Song S. J. and Tak T. O., “Kinematic Design Sensitivity Analysis of Suspension Systems Using a Symbolic Computation Method”(in Korean), J. KSAE, Vol. 4, No. 6, pp. 247∼259, 1996.
- Tak T. O., “Kinematic Design Sensitivity Analysis of Vehicle Suspension Systems Using a Numerical Differentiation Method”(in Korean), J. KSAE, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 128∼137, 1998.
- Chun H. H. and Tak T. O., “Sensitivity Analysis Using a Symbolic Computation Technique and Optimal Design of Suspension Hard Points”(in Korean), J. KSPE, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 26∼36, 1999.
- Kim S. J., Park C. J., and Park T. W., “Suspension Parameter Design Using a Design of Experiments”(in Korean), J. KSAE, Vol. 4, No.1, pp. 16∼27, 1996.
- Kim C. W. and Park T. W., “Optimal Design of Mechanisms Using a Least Experimental Plan Method”(in Korean), Trans. KSME, Vol. 18, No. 11, pp. 2883∼2893, 1994.
- Cho B. K. and Song S. J., “An Analysis of Vehicle Handling Characteristics with ADAMS”(in Korean), J. KSAE, Vol. 4, No. 5, pp. 109∼118, 1996.
- Sohn H. S., “Dynamic Simulation using the Driver Model to Evaluate the Handling Performances”(in Korean), J. KSAE, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 1∼8, 1997.
- kye G. T., et al., “Optimum Design of Vehicle Suspension Using Taguchi Method”(in Korean), DAEWOO Motors Co. TECHNICAL REVIEW '97, pp. 163∼170, 1997.
- Lee H. B. and Ahn C. W., “A Study on the Effect of the Toe Geometry on the Directional Stability of Mini-Bus Vehicle”(in Korean), J. KSAE, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 160∼165, 1998.
- Son J. H., Kim K. S., and Yoo W. S., “Selection of toe geometry and bushing stiffness to improve the Vehicle Handling Characteristics”(in Korean), J. KSAE, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 186∼193, 1999.
- Dixon J. C., Tires, Suspension and Handling, 2nd Edition, SAE, Inc., 1996.
- DADS User's Guide, Rev 9.0, Computer Aided Design Software, Inc., 1998.
- Park S. H., Modern Design of Experiment, Minyoungsa, 1998.
- DOT User's Manual Version 4.20, Vanderplaats Research & Development, 1995.