This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Utilizing a Genetic Algorithm to Optimize Vehicle Simulation Trajectories: Determining Initial Velocity of a Vehicle in Yaw
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A method was developed for determining the unknown initial velocity of vehicles in yaw based upon evidence of the vehicle’s trajectory. The problem is formulated as an optimization problem by minimizing the error between a simulation trajectory and the known vehicle trajectory as per tire marks.
A search simulation is coded in Matlab. An objective function is formulated based upon the error between the search simulation’ trajectories and the trajectory prescribed by the tire mark evidence. Initial conditions and step driver inputs are the design variables. A genetic algorithm routine coded in Matlab, GAOT (Genetic Algorithm Optimization Toolbox), is implemented to determine the solution vector that results in a simulation trajectory that minimizes the objective function.
Target simulations are created using EDVSM (Engineering Dynamics Vehicle Simulation Model). The optimization algorithm is implemented and errors in the resultant velocities are reported. Longitudinal velocity is determined to be the design variable to which the objective function is most sensitive.
Initial resultant velocities found through optimization are compared to initial resultant velocities found using the “Critical Speed Method”. The method herein is found to more accurately determine initial velocity, particularly when braking is involved.
CitationFittanto, D. and Puig-Suari, J., "Utilizing a Genetic Algorithm to Optimize Vehicle Simulation Trajectories: Determining Initial Velocity of a Vehicle in Yaw," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1616, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1616.
SAE 2000 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V109-6; Published: 2001-09-15
Number: V109-6; Published: 2001-09-15
- Orlowski, K. R. et al Reconstruction of Rollover Collisions SAE Paper 890857 1989
- Fricke, Lynn B. Traffic Accident Reconstruction Northwestern University Traffic Institute 1990
- Gillespie, Thomas Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1992
- Day, Terry EDSVS (Engineering Dynamics Single- Vehicle-Simulator) Manual 5 th Engineering Dynamics Corporation 1994
- Fittanto, Daniel A. Determining Initial Velocities of Ground Vehicles in Yaw Using A Genetic Algorithm to Optimize Simulation Trajectories Arizona State University Thesis March 1999
- Milliken, William F Milliken, Douglass L. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1995
- Schruing, Dieterich J. A Model for Combined Tire Cornering and Braking Forcesx SAE Paper 960180 1996
- Day, Terry HVE (Human-Vehicle-Environment) Manual 1 st Engineering Dynamics Corporation 1996
- Day, Terry EDVSM (Engineering Dynamics Vehicle Simulation Model) Version 1 Manual 1 st Engineering Dynamics Corporation 1997
- Haftka, Raphael T. Zafer Gurdal Elements of Structural Optimization 3 rd Kluwer Academic Publishers 1992
- Rao, S. S. Optimization:Theory and Applications 2 nd John Wiley & Sons 1984
- Houck, Christopher R. Joines Jeffrey A. Michael G. Kay A Genetic Algorithm for Function Optimization: A Matlab Implementation North Carolina State University
- Goldberg, David E. Genetic Algorithms in Search Optimization and Machine Learning Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc. 1989
- Michalwicz, Zbigniew Genetic Algorithms + Data Structures = Evolutions Programs 2 nd Springer-Verlag 1994
- Baxter, Albert T. An Examination of the Critical Speed Problem Accident Reconstruction Journal November/December 1993
- Brach, Raymond M. An Analytical Assessment of the Critical Speed Formula SAE Paper 970957 1997
- Dickerson, Charles P. et al Evaluations of Vehicle Velocity Predictions Using the Critical Speed Formula SAE Paper 950137 1995
- Lambourn, Richard F. The Calculation of Motor Car Speeds from Curved Tire Marks Journal of Forensic Science Society 1989 29 371 386
- Martinez, Luis Estimating Speed from Yawmarks - An Empirical Study Accident Reconstruction Journal May/June 1993
- Shelton, Sgt. Thomas Validation of the Estimation of Speed from Critical Speed Scuffmarks Accident Reconstruction Journal January/February 1995