This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nissan's Gasoline SULEV Technology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Future Car Congress
A new gasoline-fueled Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (SULEV) technology has been developed that meets the California Air Resources Board's (CARB) most stringent tailpipe emission levels and zero evaporative emissions, while fulfilling all On-Board Diagnostic II (OBD II) requirements.
This paper will describe the various new technologies used in achieving the SULEV standards, such as the HC trap system with an ultra-thin wall substrate for the improvement of catalyst light-off time, and an electrically actuated swirl control valve for reducing cold-start emissions. In addition, a control approach to stabilizing NOx emissions will also be discussed.
CitationNishizawa, K., Momoshima, S., and Koga, M., "Nissan's Gasoline SULEV Technology," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1583, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1583.
- Nishizawa Kimiyoshi, Yamada Takashi, Ishizuka Yasuji and Inoue Toshiaki, “Technologies for Reducing Cold-Start Emissions of V6 ULEVs”, SAE Paper 971022.
- Takahashi Hideaki, Ishizuka Yasuji, Tomita Masayuki and Nishizawa Kimiyoshi, “Engine-Out and Tail-Pipe Emission Reduction Technologies of V-6 LEVs”, SAE Paper 980674.
- Mitsuishi Shunichi, Mori Kouichi, Nishizawa Kimiyoshi and Yamamoto Shinji, “Emission Reduction Technologies for Turbocharged Engines”, SAE Paper 1999-01-3629.
- Nishizawa Kimiyoshi, Momoshima Sukenori, Koga Masaki and Tsuchida Hirofumi, “Development of New Technologies Targeting Zero Emissions for Gasoline Engines”, SAE Paper 2000-01-0890.
- Tomita M., Iwakiri Y., Inoue R., Kojima K., Sakai E. and Urushihara T., “Effect of Gas Flow and Mixture Properties Engine-Out HC Emissions”, SAE Paper 961952.
- Umehara K., Yamada T., Hijikata T., Ichikawa Y. and Katsube F., “Advanced Ceramic Substrate: Catalytic Performance Improvement by High Geometric Surface Area and Low Heat Capacity”, SAE Paper 971029.
- Hertl W., Patil M.D. and Williams J.L., “Hydrocarbon Adsorber System for Cold Start Emissions”, SAE Paper 960347.
- Yamamoto S., Matsushita K., Etoh S. and Takaya M., “In-Line Hydrocarbon Adsorber System for Reducing Cold-Start Emissions”, SAE Paper 2000-01-0892.
- Hoke Jeffrey B., Heck Ronald M. and Poles Terry C., “Premair® Catalyst System-A New Approach to Cleaning the Air” SAE Paper 1999-01-3677.
- Maekawa K., “Development of a Valve Timing Control System”, SAE Paper 890680.