This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling and Validation of a Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Future Car Congress
This paper describes the design and construction of a fuel cell hybrid electric vehicle based on the conversion of a five passenger production sedan. The vehicle uses a relatively small fuel cell stack to provide average power demands, and a battery pack to provide peak power demands for varied driving conditions. A model of this vehicle was developed using ADVISOR, an Advanced Vehicle Simulator that tracks energy flow and fuel usage within the vehicle drivetrain and energy conversion components.
The Virginia Tech Fuel Cell Hybrid Electric Vehicle was tested on the EPA City and Highway driving cycles to provide data for validation of the model. Vehicle data and model results show good correlation at all levels and show that ADVISOR has the capability to model fuel cell hybrid electric vehicles.
|Technical Paper||Energy Management Strategy and Parametric Design for Fuel Cell Family Sedan|
|Technical Paper||Optimizing Control Strategy for Hybrid Fuel Cell Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||Power Control Strategy for Fuel Cell Hybrid Electric Vehicles|
CitationOgburn, M., Nelson, D., Wipke, K., and Markel, T., "Modeling and Validation of a Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1566, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1566.
- Wipke, K. Cuddy, M. Burch, S. “ADVISOR 2.1: A User-Friendly Advanced Powertrain Simulation Using a Combined Backward/Forward Approach,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology: Special Issue on Hybrid and Electric Vehicles Nov. 1999
- Senger, R. D. Merkle M. A. Nelson D. J. 1998 “Validation of ADVISOR as a Simulation Tool for a Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle,” Technology for Electric and Hybrid Vehicles Proceedings of the 1998 SAE Intl. Congress Detroit, MI Feb. 23-26 SAE Paper 981133 95 115
- Luttrell William King Brian Postle Scott Fahrenkrog Robert Ogburn Michael Nelson Douglas J. 2000 “Integration of Fuel Cell Technology into the Virginia Tech 1999 Hybrid Electric FutureCar,” Proceedings of the 1999 FutureCar Challenge June 2-9 1999 Auburn Hills, MI SAE
- Gromatzky, J. Ogburn M. J. Pogany A. Pare C. A. Hutchinson J. Nelson D. J. 1999 “Integration of Fuel Cell Technology into the Virginia Tech 1998 Hybrid Electric FutureCar,” Proceedings of the 1998 FutureCar Challenge June 3 10 1998 Auburn Hills, MI SAE Mar. 1999
- Senger, R. D. Merkle M. A. Nelson D. J. 1998 “Design and Performance of the 1997 Virginia Tech Hybrid Electric FutureCar,” Proceedings of the 1997 FutureCar Challenge SAE 99 112