This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Concepts for Pro-Active Life Cycle Design Support Tools
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 26, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
When categorising the available ecodesign tools according to the methodological design phases and steps, most design for environment tools prove to be analysis oriented and mainly suitable for the final, detailed design phases. This paper emphasises emerging methods allowing the integration of environmental issues earlier in the design process and in a more pro-active way. These methods are based on a context sensitive access to structured guidelines and examples. Finally, the integration of these pro-active tools in a holistic life cycle design system, including also analysis techniques such as life cycle assessment, is shortly described.
CitationDewulf, W., Duflou, J., Sas, P., and Van Brussel, H., "Concepts for Pro-Active Life Cycle Design Support Tools," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1502, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1502.
- BRUNDTLAND G.H. Our common future Oxford university press Oxford 1987
- PAHL G. BEITZ W. Engineering Design - A Systematic Approach Springer London 1995
- VAN HEMEL C. Tools for setting Realizable Priorities at Strategic Level in DfEn. Proceedings of ICED'95, WDK23 Ed. Heurista Zürich 1040 1047
- WENZEL H. HAUSCHILD M. ALTING L. Environmental Assessment of Products Chapman&Hall London 1997
- GRAEDEL T. ALLENBY B. Industrial Ecology Prentice-Hall New-Jersey 1995
- HOFFMAN W.F. III LOCASCIO A. Design for Environment Development at Motorola 1997 IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment (San Fransisco) IEEE Piscataway 1997 210 214
- DEWULF W. SAS P. VAN BRUSSEL H. Life Cycle Assessment of a Windshield Wiper - A Case Study Proceedings of EcoDesign'99 (Tokyo) IEEE Los Alamitos 1999 120 123