This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Closed Loop, Full Scale Automotive Climatic Wind Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
A closed loop full-scale automotive climatic wind tunnel is described. The tunnel simulates wind and rain as well as several road conditions. It generates under controlled heat loading, wind speeds of up to 50kmh with different approach boundary conditions, rains from drizzle to cloudburst and road inclines up to 15° in any direction. The design and optimization process of the tunnel functions is outlined and examples of its use in vehicle development are given. The size constraint and the need for a compact design are important features of the tunnel. The tunnel provides an important test bed for close scrutiny of the relationship between rain ingress, vehicle speed, road condition, heat loading and vehicle geometry. The tunnel can also be used to study vehicle thermal management, vehicle thermal comfort, engine cold starting, and wipers efficiency in sever cold weather. Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) simulation is used to optimize the performance of a number of key tunnel components. The resulting tunnel is approximately 9.5m in length, 9.5 m in height and 3 m in width.
CitationAbdul Ghani, S., Aroussi, A., and Rice, E., "Development of a Closed Loop, Full Scale Automotive Climatic Wind Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1375, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1375.
- Gordon R. Imbabi M. CFD simulation and experimental validation of a new closed circuit wind/ water tunnel design Journal of fluids engineering, transactions of ASME June 1998 120 311 318
- Cumberpatch D. C. Climatic simulation in a purpose- built wind tunnel Proc Instn Mech Engrs, I Mech E 1987 201 D4
- Bigliani U. Cappo A. Revellino M. Climatic road simulation for truck plastic componenets testing 1990 SAE paper No. 905208 677 683
- Gandemer G. La soufflerie climatique (Jules verne) Journal of wind engineering and industrial aerodynamics 1992 43 54
- Melene H. R. Rain simulation in wind tunnels Gull Engineering, Inc. Report Oct 1967
- Clayton R. M. Cho Y. I. Shakkottai P. Back L. H. Rain simulation studies for high-intensity acoustic nose cavities AIAA March 1988 25 3
- Joss J. Waldvogel A. Raindrop size distribution and sampling size erros Journal of the atmospheric sciences 1968 566 569
- Himeno R. Fujitani K. Takagi M. Simulation of unsteady three dimensional flows around an automobile and its visualisation
- Parameswaran S Andra R. Sun R. Gleason M. A critical study on the influence of far field boundary conditions on the pressure distribution around a bluff body Journal of wind engineering and industrial aerodynamics 1997 67&68 117 127
- Angelis W. Drikakis D. Durst F. Khier W. Numerical and experimental study of the flow over a two dimensional car model Journal of wind engineering and industrial aerodynamics 1996 62 57 79
- Fluent/UNS manuals Fluent Inc Centerra Resource Park 1998