This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Three Dimensional Flow Field Simulation to Estimate Performance of a Torque Converter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
This paper describes a simulation procedure to calculate a torque converter performance. The study focuses the validity of a solution and the handiness of the procedure. A comparison of the numerical solution and the experimental solution proves the model validity. Moreover, handiness is achieved by using commercial code with automatic unstructured mesh generating techniques. With suggested procedure, a complete analysis is carried out relatively fast. And an steady state interaction can be analyzed between three moving elements.
CitationLee, C., Jang, W., Lee, J., and Lim, W., "Three Dimensional Flow Field Simulation to Estimate Performance of a Torque Converter," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1146, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1146.
- Cigarini Marco, Jonnavithula Sreenadh, “Fluid Flow in an Automotive Torque Converter: Comparison of Numerical Results with Measurements”, SAE 950673
- Watanabe Hisashi, Kurahashi Tetsuo, Kojima Masahiro, “Flow Visualization and Measurement of Torque Converter Stator Blades Using a Laser Sheet Lighting Method and a Laser Doppler Velocimeter”, SAE 970680
- Bai L., Fiebig M., Mitra N.K., “Numerical Analysis of Turbulent Flow in Fluid Coupling”, Journal of Fluids Engineering Sep. 1997, Vol. 119
- By R.R., Kunz R., Lakshminarayana B., “Navier-Stokes Analysis of the Pump Flow Field of an Automotive Torque Converter”, Transactions of the ASME, Mar. 1995, Vol. 117
- Lauder B.E., Reece G.J., and Rodi W.. “Progress in the Development of a Reynolds-Stress Turbulence Closure”, J. Fluid Mech., 68(3):537-566, Apr. 1975
- Fluent Inc.,FLUENT/UNS & RAMPANT 4.2 User Guide Vol2., 1997
- Backstrom T.W.von, Lakshminarayana B., “Perspective: Fluid Dynamics and Performance of Automotive Torque Converters:An Assessment”, Journal of Fluid Engineering Dec. 1996, Vol. 118
- Slocum, Frank H.Jr. “Torque Converter Field Inspection Evaluation and Test Procedures”, SAE841196
- Ejiri Eiji, “A New Approach to Developing a More Efficient Torque Converter Stator”, SAE901765
- Abe Ken-ichi, Kondoh Tsuguo, “Three-Dimensional Simulation of the Flow in a Torque Converter”, SAE910800