This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Three Dimensional Flow Field Simulation to Estimate Performance of a Torque Converter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
This paper describes a simulation procedure to calculate a torque converter performance. The study focuses the validity of a solution and the handiness of the procedure. A comparison of the numerical solution and the experimental solution proves the model validity. Moreover, handiness is achieved by using commercial code with automatic unstructured mesh generating techniques. With suggested procedure, a complete analysis is carried out relatively fast. And an steady state interaction can be analyzed between three moving elements.
CitationLee, C., Jang, W., Lee, J., and Lim, W., "Three Dimensional Flow Field Simulation to Estimate Performance of a Torque Converter," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1146, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1146.
- Cigarini Marco Jonnavithula Sreenadh “Fluid Flow in an Automotive Torque Converter: Comparison of Numerical Results with Measurements” SAE 950673
- Watanabe Hisashi Kurahashi Tetsuo Kojima Masahiro “Flow Visualization and Measurement of Torque Converter Stator Blades Using a Laser Sheet Lighting Method and a Laser Doppler Velocimeter” SAE 970680
- Bai L. Fiebig M. Mitra N.K. “Numerical Analysis of Turbulent Flow in Fluid Coupling” Journal of Fluids Engineering Sep 1997 119
- By R.R. Kunz R. Lakshminarayana B. “Navier-Stokes Analysis of the Pump Flow Field of an Automotive Torque Converter” Transactions of the ASME Mar 1995 117
- Lauder B.E. Reece G.J. Rodi W. “Progress in the Development of a Reynolds-Stress Turbulence Closure” J. Fluid Mech. 68 3 537 566 Apr 1975
- Fluent Inc. FLUENT/UNS & RAMPANT 4.2 User Guide 2 1997
- Backstrom T.W.von Lakshminarayana B. “Perspective: Fluid Dynamics and Performance of Automotive Torque Converters:An Assessment” Journal of Fluid Engineering Dec. 1996 118
- Slocum, Frank H. Jr. “Torque Converter Field Inspection Evaluation and Test Procedures” SAE 841196
- Ejiri Eiji “A New Approach to Developing a More Efficient Torque Converter Stator” SAE 901765
- Abe Ken-ichi Kondoh Tsuguo “Three-Dimensional Simulation of the Flow in a Torque Converter” SAE 910800