This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Temperature-Creep Resistant Magnesium Alloys:Advances in Thixomolding Automotive Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
Applications of magnesium-based alloys to transmission and underhood automotive components have been limited by creep and bolt-load relaxation. A further concern is the relative expense of Mg alloys, such as AE42, that contain rare earth elements. These alloys still fall short of the performance of 380 Al. A new family of low-cost Mg alloys (ZAC) containing Zn, Al, and Ca has been developed and reported to approach AE42 and to outperform 380 Al; however, it exhibits castability concerns in die casting.
This study was designed to evaluate the performance of semi-solid injection-molded (Thixomolded®)1 ZAC8506 bolt-load retention samples at temperatures up to 175°C. The Thixomolding® process has been reported to markedly improve the creep resistance of AZ91D as the volume fraction of solids is increased. The processing conditions were selected to produce bolt-load retention samples having solid fractions of 6% to 37% primary alpha. The bolt-load retention properties were then studied as a function of time at a torque level of 28 kN and at 150 and 175×C for periods of 100 h.
The study also included both Thixomolded and die cast AZ91D bolt-load retention samples for direct comparison, and corroboration of the test methodology for bolt-load retention. Elevated temperature measurements of both tensile and compressive properties were also carried out on the ZAC8506 alloy. The moldability of ZAC was evaluated using a relatively complex Delphi automotive electronics housing.
CitationNyberg, E., Jones, R., Pitman, S., Carnahan, R. et al., "High Temperature-Creep Resistant Magnesium Alloys:Advances in Thixomolding Automotive Components," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1126, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1126.
SAE 2000 Transactions Journal of Materials & Manufacturing
Number: V109-5 ; Published: 2001-09-15
Number: V109-5 ; Published: 2001-09-15
- Chen F.C., Jones J.W., McGinn T., Kearns J., Nielsen A., and Allison J., “Bolt Load Retention and Creep of Die Cast Magnesium Alloys,” SAE SP-1250, Characteristics and Applications of Magnesium in Automotive Design, SAE Technical Paper 970325, February 1997, 13-21.
- Johnson K., from private communications in Richland, WA, 1999. These data will be presented in a paper entitled, “Finite Element Modeling of Creep Relaxation in Bolted Joints of Magnesium Castings,” in the Automotive Alloys 2000 Session at the 2000 TMS Annual Meeting and Exhibition held in Nashville, TN March, 2000.
- Luo A. and Shinoda T., “A New Magnesium Alloy for Automotive Powertrain Applications,” (SAE Technical Paper 980086, presented at the Society of Automotive Engineers, International Conference and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan, 1998 February).
- LeBeau S., Yamamoto Y., and Sakamoto K., “Thixomolding of Magnesium Automotive Components,” (SAE Technical Paper 980087, presented at the Society of Automotive Engineers, International Conference and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan, 1998, February).
- Carnahan R., Pasternak L., and Kilbert R., “Advances in Thixomolding,” (Paper presented at the 51st World Magnesium Congress, International Magnesium Assn., Berlin, 1994).
- Nakatsugawa I., (Paper presented at the Japan Magnesium Association Seminars, 1998).
- LeBeau S. and Decker R., “Microstructural Design of Thixomolded Magnesium Alloys,” (Paper presented at the 5th Int. Conference on Semi-Solid Processing of Alloys and Composites, Colorado School of Mines, Denver, Colorado, 1998), 387-395.
- Gjestland H., Nussbaum G., Regazzoni G., Lohne O., and Bauger Ø., Mater. Sci. Engr., A134 (1991), 1197.
- Carnahan R., Hathaway R.M., Kilbert R., Pasternak L., and Rohatgi P., “Thixomolded AZ91D Magnesium: Mechanical and Microstructural Property Dependency on Process Parameter Variations,” Light Metals 1993 Métaux Légers, (The Metallurgical Society of the Canadian Institute of Metals, 1993).
- International Magnesium Association database: Magnesium Information System, Mechanical Properties, 1999, from SAE Technical Paper 950424, by Aune T.Kr. and Westengen H., “Property Update on Magnesium Die Casting Alloys,” presented at the Society of Automotive Engineers, International Conference and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan,, February 1995.
- Zhang Z. and Couture A., “An Investigation of Mg-Zn-Al-Ca Alloys,” Light Metals 1998 Métaux Légers, ed. Sahoo M. and Fradet C., (The Metallurgical Society of the Canadian Institute of Metals, 1998).
- Oding I.A., ed., Creep and Stress Relaxation in Metals, (London: Oliver and Boyd, 1967), 282.