This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Measurements of V-Ribbed Belt Tracking Lateral Forces
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
Two instrumented pulleys were developed to empirically measure the dynamic lateral forces of V-Ribbed belts used in automotive accessory drives. The first test pulley utilizes two cantilever beams cut into the pulley with strain gauges attached to measure the lateral dynamic forces in each individual belt rib caused by misalignment. A test stand which simulates multiple accessory drive configurations at low-end drive speeds typical in automotive engines was implemented to create the dynamic response necessary. This test stand allows variations in lateral offset, toe, camber, tension, and span length, as well as in the speed of the system through a variable speed AC motor. The second test pulley utilizes a unidirectional load cell oriented to measure the total lateral force on the test pulley. After conducting static calibration tests of the two experimental systems, dynamic results were obtained using real time data acquisition. The experimental findings were then compared with finite element analysis simulation results
CitationCastle, J., Herrick, T., Chandrashekhara, K., Breig, W. et al., "Experimental Measurements of V-Ribbed Belt Tracking Lateral Forces," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0912, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0912.
- Chandrashekhara K., Sloan C. S., Xu M., Breig W. F., and Oliver L. R., “Material Nonlinear Analysis of V-Ribbed Belts,” Paper No. 54, Rubber Division, American Chemical Society, 1999
- Connell J. E. and Rorrer R. A. L., “Friction-Induced Vibration in V-Ribbed Belt Applications,” ASME DE, Vol. 49, pp. 75-85, 1992.
- Connell J. E. and Meckstroth R. J., “Influence of Pulley Profile on Automotive Accessory Drive Noise,” SAE Paper No. 940688, 1994.
- Dalgarno K. W., Childs T. H. C., Day A. J., Hojjati M. H., Moore R. B. and Yu D. Q., “Mechanical Properties of Elastomer Compounds in Synchronous and V-ribbed Belts,” Kautschuk Gummi Kunststoffe, Vol. 50, #4, pp. 299-303, 1997.
- Hwang S. -J., Perkins N. C., Ulsoy A. G., “Rotational Response and Slip Prediction of Serpentine Belt Drive Systems,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 116, pp. 71-78, 1994.
- Meckstroth R. J. and Ahoor R., “Belt Tracking Experiments,” SAE Pulley Committee Meeting, Presentation Only, 1990.
- Sloan C. S., Chandrashekhara K., Breig W. F., Oliver L. R., “Simulation of V-Ribbed Belt Tracking,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0642, 1999.
- Yu D., Childs T. H. C., Dalgarno K. W., “Experimental and finite element studies of the running of V-Ribbed belts in pulley grooves,” Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs, Vol. 212, Part C, pp. 343-354, 1998.