This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Trends in Engine Valve Development for Automobiles and Motorcycles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
Engine valve development trends are to first, reduce the costly metal content and secondly, increase strength or reduce weight. These developments can be used to reduce valve cost or fuel consumption or increase power. The authors developed a new strain age hardening type alloy, NCF2415C, which has both good cold forgeability and heat resistance. Its chemical composition is Fe-24Ni-15Cr-2.2Ti-1.5Al-0.5Nb-0.02C-.006B-2Cu. This new alloy and the establishment f cold forging technology made it possible to develop cold forged exhaust valves having durability equal or better than the conventional hot forged exhaust valves.
CitationOketani, H., Ishida, M., Noda, T., Ueta, S. et al., "Trends in Engine Valve Development for Automobiles and Motorcycles," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0907, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0907.
- Okabe M. Isobe S. Electric Furnace Steel 58 1987 122
- Aerospace Structural Materials Handbook: Mechanical Properties Data Center Belfour Stulen. Inc. 1987 12
- Brown E.E. Muzyka D.R. Superalloys II Sims C.T. N. Hagel W.C. John Wiley&Sons 1987 165
- Watanabe R. Hitachi Metals Technical Review 3 1987 2
- Hagiwara Y. Ishida M. Oka T. SAE paper 910429 1991
- Hagiwara Y. Ishida M. Oka T. HONDA R&D Technical Review 4 63 1992
- Hamano S. Nagashima T. Noda T. Okabe M. Electric Furnace Steel 67 1996 95
- Kiriyama M. Sasakura T. Valvetrain System Design and Materials Bolton H.A. Larson J.M. Asm International Materials Park, OH 1997 19
- Sato K. Takagi Y. Saka T. Valvetrain System Design and Materials Bolton H.A. Larson J.M. Asm International Materials Park, OH 1997 87
- Tunnecliffe T. Valvetrain System Design and Materials Bolton H.A. Larson J.M. Asm International Materials Park, OH 1997 99
- Sato K. Saka T. Ohno T. Noda T. HONDA R&D Technical Review 9 1997 185
- Okabe M. The Special Steel 48 1999 2 47
- Ishida M. Oketani H. The Proceedings of The 1999 Japanese Spring Conference for The Technology of Plasticity 1999 263
- Ueta S. Noda T. Okabe M. Ishida M. Oketani H. Electric Furnace Steel 70 1999 205