This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Small-Scale Aeroacoustic Open Jet, Open Return Wind Tunnel for Cavity Noise and Component Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
A small-scale aeroacoustic wind tunnel has been designed and built to investigate tonal cavity noise in the frequency range applicable to passenger vehicles; 1 - 16 kHz. The tunnel is required for testing associated with an investigation into tonal cavity noise on passenger-vehicle wing mirrors. It was designed to operate in the low subsonic speed range (60 - 140 km/h) with a nozzle exit cross-sectional area of 0.02 m2 and a 4:1 aspect ratio. The design was intended to achieve a smooth, quiet flow facility. In this paper the design process is summarised and the factors leading to particular design decisions are detailed. An initial evaluation has shown that only minimal changes are required to achieve very smooth, even flow at the nozzle exit at all required test speeds. The acoustic design needs further work as there is a significant amount of flow noise at the nozzle exit between 1 and 13 kHz. Tests of a rearview mirror on-road and in a full-size wind tunnel indicated the background noise levels required and results of these tests are included in this paper. Further work to reduce background noise is proposed.
|Technical Paper||Computational Process for Wind Noise Evaluation of Rear-View Mirror Design in Cars|
|Technical Paper||Aero-Vibro-Acoustic Wind Noise-Simulation Based on the Flow around a Car|
|Technical Paper||Automobile Aerodynamic Noise|
CitationMilbank, J., Watkins, S., and Kelso, R., "Development of a Small-Scale Aeroacoustic Open Jet, Open Return Wind Tunnel for Cavity Noise and Component Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0867, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0867.
- Blake, W. K. Powell, A. 1983 The development of contemporary views of flow-tone generation Recent Advances In Aeroacoustics - International Symposium Stanford University Aug 22-26 Springer Verlag 247 325
- Komerath, N. M. Ahuja, K. K. Chambers, F. W. 1987 Prediction and measurement of flows over cavities - A survey AIAA 25 th Aerospace Sciences Meeting Jan 12-15 Reno, Nevada
- Ahuja, K. K. Mendoza, J. M. 1995 Effects of cavity dimensions, boundary layer, and temperature on cavity noise with emphasis on benchmark data to validate computational aeroacoustic codes NASA CR 4653 NASA Langley Research Centre Hampton, VA
- Ahuja, K. K. 1995 Effects of width on cavity noise 1st Joint aeroacoustics conference June 1995 Munich, Germany 1 403 410
- Watkins, S. Oswald, G. 1999 The flow field of automobile add-ons - With particular reference to the vibration of external mirrors Accepted for publication by the International Journal of Wind Engineering & Industrial Aerodynamics
- Wallis, R. A. 1993 Axial flow fans and ducts Kriegar Publishing Company Florida 0-89464-644-3
- Mehta, R. D. 1977 The aerodynamic design of blower tunnels with wide-angle diffusers Progress in Aerospace Sciences 18 59 120
- Mehta, R. D. Bradshaw, P. 1979 Design rules for small low-speed wind tunnels Aeronautical Journal Nov. 1979 443
- Barlow, J. Rae, W. H. Pope, A. 1998 Low-speed wind tunnel testing John Wiley & sons 3rd
- Morel, T. 1975 Comprehensive design of axisymmetric wind tunnel contractions ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering June 1975 225
- Schlichting, Hermann 1979 Boundary-layer Theory 7th Kestin J. 07-055334-3
- Morel, T. 1977 Design of two-dimensional wind tunnel contractions ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering June 1977 371
- Tulapurkara, E. G. Bhalla, V. V. 1988 Experimental investigation of Morel's method for wind tunnel contractions ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering March 1988 110 45
- Lanspeary, P. V. Bull, M. K. 1998 A mechanism for laminar three-dimensional separation in duct contractions 13 th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference 2 687 Dec 1998 Melbourne, Australia
- 6 4 99
- Bies, D. A. Hansen, C. H. 1996 Engineering noise control: Theory and practice 2nd E & FN Spon
- Hooper, J. D. Musgrove, A. R. 1997 Reynolds stress, mean velocity, and dynamic static pressure measurement by a four-hole pressure probe Experimental Thermal & Fluid Science 15 375 383
- Rossiter, J. E. 1964 Wind tunnel experiments on the flow over rectangular cavities at subsonic and transonic speeds RAE Technical Report 64037 Oct. 1964 Farnborough, Hants, U.K.