This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of a New Design for CVS-Systems Meeting the Requirements of S-ULEV and EURO IV
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The latest legislation requires the automotive industry to once again reduce the emission levels of their latest vehicles. This leads to a new challenge in the field of emission measurement, because the concentrations of certain components of the exhaust gases are extremely low. For current measurement devices, which are recommended by the legislation, it is almost impossible to determine such low emission levels with the necessary accuracy.
This study evaluates the features of an improved CVS system (Constant Volume Sampling) with the possibility of heating and the ability of changing flow rates quickly. Possible solutions are discussed and the properties of data measured with test facilities which are prepared to cover S-ULEV and EURO IV applications are described. The tests were performed on a dynamic engine test bed which was equipped with such a CVS system and with emission analyzing systems for raw exhaust and diluted measurements.
CitationKrenn, M., Kampelmühler, F., Weidinger, C., Mariani, G. et al., "Evaluation of a New Design for CVS-Systems Meeting the Requirements of S-ULEV and EURO IV," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0800, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0800.
- Code of Federal Regulations, Protection of Environment, Title 40, Parts 86 July 1 1999 U.S. Governement Printing Office Washington 1999
- Heine, P. RWTÜV Fahrzeug GmbH 25 - 26 Sept. 1997
- Bielaczyc, P. Merkisz, J. Euro III / Euro IV Emissions - A Study of Cold Start end Warmup Phases with a SI (Spark Ignition) Engine SAE Paper 1999-01-1073
- Berg W. private communications
- Klingenberg, H. Springer Verlag Berlin 1995
- Hood, J.F. Silvis, W.M. Predicting and Preventing Water Condensation in Sampled Vehicle Exhaust for Optimal CVS Dilution SAE
- Seifert, G.E. 25 - 26 Sept. 1997
- Thiel, W. Hartmann, K. Wörgerbauer, R. 15 Februar 1996
- Kampelmühler, F. Denk, H. Zero Emission and Exhaust as Measurement - A Contradiction, Motor und Umwelt Sept. 1999
- Silvis, W.M. Chase, R.E. Proportional Ambient Sampling: A CVS Improvement for ULEV and Lean Engine Operation SAE
- Schiefer, H. Schimdler, W. Schimpl, H. Study of Interferences für ULEV-CVS Measurement, Related to the Complete Measuring System, Discussion of Error Sources, Cross-Sensitivity and Adsorption SAE Paper SAE 2000
- Tayama, A. Kanetoshi, K. Tsuchida, H. Morita, H. A Study of Gasoline-Fueled Near-Zero-Emission Vehicle Usin an Improved Emission Measurement System SAE Paper, SP - 982555
- Velosa, J. Error Analysis of the Vehicle Exhaust Emission Measurement System SAE
- Griesche, D. Schopp, G. Engeljehringer, K. 25 - 26 Sept. 1997