This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Disc Brake Intermittent Squeal Noise Study Using Experimental Techniques Based Systematic Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
This paper provides a systematic approach to identify the root cause of the squeal noise of a disc brake by using advanced experimental tools. Modal analysis was used to identify the modal participation factors when the brake was squealing according to the reproduced squeal phenomenon and acquired operational displacement shape (ODS) using pulsed electronic speckle pattern interferometry. Modal coupling between the disc and pad/caliper assembly is found to be the key to produce squeal. It has been demonstrated that using mass loading/damping can de-couple the modes between the disc and pad/caliper assembly and reduce the assembly vibration from which the squeal is eliminated.
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Disc Brake Squeal|
|Technical Paper||New Devices to Assist in Friction Material Development|
|Technical Paper||Numerical and Experimental Evaluation of Brake Squeal|
CitationChen, F., Chen, S., Her, J., and Harwood, P., "Disc Brake Intermittent Squeal Noise Study Using Experimental Techniques Based Systematic Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0731, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0731.
- Watany M., Abouel-Seoud S., Saad A. and Abdel-Gawad I, “Brake Squeal Generation”, SAE 1999-01-1735, 1999
- Mahajan S.K., Hu Y.K. and Zhang K., “Vehicle Disc Brake Squeal Simulations and Experiences”, SAE 1999-01-1738, 1999
- Hu Y.K., Mahajan S.K. and Zhang K., “Brake Squeal DOE Using Nonlinear Transient Analysis”, SAE 1999-01-1737
- Fieldhouse J.D. and Newcomb T.P., “Double Pulsed Holography Used to Investigate Noisy Brakes”, Optics and Lasers in Engineering 25, pp.455-494, 1996
- Hamabe T., Yamazaki I., Yamada K., Matsui H., Nakagawa S. and Kawamura M., “Study of a Method for Reducing Drum Brake Squeal”, SAE 1999-01-0144, 1999
- Nack W.V., “Brake Squeal Analysis by Finite Elements”, SAE 1999-01-1736, 1999
- Nosseir T.A., Said M.A.R., EI Nahas N.S., and Abu EI Fetouh G., “Significance of Squeal in Disc Brake Design”, International J. of Vehicle Design, Vol.19, No.1, pp.124-132, 1998
- Ibrahim RA, “Friction-induced vibration, chatter, squeal, and chaos, Part I: Mechanics of contact and friction”, Appl. Mech Rev., Vol.47, No.7, pp.209-226, 1994
- Ibrahim RA, “Friction-induced vibration, chatter, squeal, and chaos, Part II: Dynamic and modeling”, Appl. Mech Rev., Vol.47, No.7, pp.227-253, 1994
- Rhee S.K., Tsang P.H.S. and Wang Y.S., “Frinction-Induced Noise And Vibration Of Disc Brakes”, Wear, Vol.133, pp.39-45, 1989