This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Software Requirements: Is This the Magic Bullet?
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The accelerating cost of developing the electronic content of the typical vehicle is in part due to the cost of software development for these electronic modules. Software development costs for many projects are difficult to predict accurately, and even more difficult to control.
A number of software development methodologies have been published and are followed with mixed success. All place great significance on the generation and management of the requirements for the software.
This paper provides a basic definition of what proper requirements should be, discusses the importance of proper requirements in software development, and compares several approaches to the generation and the management of requirements. Finally, the paper suggests an approach to managing ever-changing ‘real-world’ requirements.
CitationLeveille, L., "Software Requirements: Is This the Magic Bullet?," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0710, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0710.
- Brooks, Frederick P., Jr. The Mythical Man-Month, Anniversary Edition Addison Wesley 1975 1995
- Davis, Alan M. Software Requirements, Objects, Functions, and States PTR Prentice Hall 1993
- Jackson, Michael Software Requirements & Specifications, a lexicon of practice, principles, and prejudices ACM Press, Addison Wesley 1995
- Gause, Donald C. Weinberg, Gerald M. Exploring Requirements, Quality Before Design Dorset House Publishing 1989
- Hatley, Derek J. Pirbhai, Imtiaz A. Strategies for Real-Time System Specification Dorset House Publishing 1987
- Kehoe, Raymond Jarvis, Alka ISO 9000-3, A Tool for Software Product and Process Improvement Springer-Verlag 1996
- Kovitz, Benjamin L. Practical Software Requirements, A Manual of Content and Style Manning Publications Co. 1998
- Paulk, Mark C et al. Carnegie Mellon University, Software Engineering Institute The Capability Maturity Model, Guidelines for Improving the Software Process 1995
- Robertson, Suzanne Robertson, James Mastering the Requirements Process ACM Press, Addison Wesley 1999
- Sommerville, Ian Sawyer, Pete Requirements Engineering, A good practice guide John Wiley & Sons 1997
- Yourdon, Edward Death March, The Complete Software Developer's Guide to Surviving “Mission Impossible” Projects 1997
- Yourdon, Edward Decline and Fall of the American Programmer Yourdon Press 1993
- Yourdon, Edward Rise & Resurrection of the American Programmer Yourdon Press 1997