This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Torque Estimation and Misfire Detection using Block Angular Acceleration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
This work examines the possibility of detecting misfires via measurements of the angular acceleration of the engine block. Measurements were taken on a production 4-cylinder engine which was modeled as a single degree of freedom torsional oscillator. The torque waveform was estimated and compared to the torque calculated via cylinder pressure measurements. Further analysis was conducted in the frequency domain. Results indicate that metrics based on low frequency information were most reliable, but this is impractical for vehicular applications. The accuracy of high frequency metrics was degraded due to the limitations of the model and the non-rigid behavior of the block at high engine speeds.
CitationBall, J., Bowe, M., Stone, C., and McFadden, P., "Torque Estimation and Misfire Detection using Block Angular Acceleration," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0560, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0560.
- California Air Resources Board (1991), Technical status Update and Proposed Revisions to Malfunction and Diagnostic System Requirements Applicable to 1994 and Subsequent California Passenger Cars, Light-Duty Trucks, and Medium-Duty Vehicles - (OBDII), CARB staff report.
- Lee, D., and Rizzoni, G. (1995), Detection of Partial Misfire in IC Engines Using Measurement of Crankshaft Angular Velocity, SAE Paper 951070.
- Klenk, M., Moser, W., Mueller, W., and Wimmer, W. (1993), Misfire Detection by Evaluating Crankshaft Speed - A Means to Comply with OBDII, SAE Paper 93099.
- Williams, J. (1996), An Overview of Misfiring Cylinder Engine Diagnostic Techniques Based on Crankshaft Angular Velocity Measurements, SAE Paper 960039.
- Shiao, Y., and Moskwa, J.J. (1994), Misfire Detection and Cylinder Pressure Reconstruction for SI Engines, SAE Paper 940144
- Citron, S.J., O'Higgins, J.E., and Chen, L. (1989), Cylinder by Cylinder Engine Pressure and Pressure Torque Waveform Determination Utilizing Speed Fluctuations, SAE Paper 890486.
- Plapp, G., Klenk, M., and Moser, W. (1990), Methods of On-Board Misfire Detection, SAE Paper 900232.
- Iida, K., Akishino, K., and Kido, K. (1990), IMEP Estimation from Instantaneous Crankshaft Torque Variation, SAE Paper 900617.
- Brown, T.S., and Neill, W.S. (1992), Determination of Engine Cylinder Pressures from Crankshaft Speed Fluctuations, SAE Paper 920463.
- Rizzoni, G. (1986), A Dynamic Model for the Internal Combustion Engine, PhD dissertation, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Connolly, F.T. (1994), Direct Estimation of Cyclic Combustion Pressure Variability using Engine Speed Fluctuations in an Internal Combustion Engine, SAE Paper 940143.
- Connolly, F.T., and Rizzoni, G. (1994), Real Time Estimation of Engine Torque for the Detection of Engine Misfires, Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 116, pp. 675-686.
- Taylor, C.F. (1985), The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice, Volume 2, MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Thomson, W.T. (1988), Theory of Vibration with Applications, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Barnes-Moss, H.W. (1975), Adesigner's viewpoint, in Passenger Car Engines, ImechE Conf. Proc., pp.133-147, MEP, London.
- Heywood, J.B. (1988), Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.
- Stone, C.R. (1992), Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines, 2nd Edn. Macmillan.
- Chen, S.K., and Flynn, P. (1965), Development of a compression ignition research engine, SAE Paper 650733.
- Winterbone, D.E. (1986), ‘Transient performance’, in Horlock, J.H. and Winterbone, D.E. (eds), The Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal Combustion Engines, Vol. II, Oxford University Press.
- Meirovitch, L. (1975), Elements of Vibration Analysis, McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York.
- Nakada, T., and Tonosaki, H. (1994), Excitation Mechanism of Half Order Engine Vibrations, Paper C487/017, Proceedings of the IMechE.