This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Torque Estimation and Misfire Detection using Block Angular Acceleration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
This work examines the possibility of detecting misfires via measurements of the angular acceleration of the engine block. Measurements were taken on a production 4-cylinder engine which was modeled as a single degree of freedom torsional oscillator. The torque waveform was estimated and compared to the torque calculated via cylinder pressure measurements. Further analysis was conducted in the frequency domain. Results indicate that metrics based on low frequency information were most reliable, but this is impractical for vehicular applications. The accuracy of high frequency metrics was degraded due to the limitations of the model and the non-rigid behavior of the block at high engine speeds.
CitationBall, J., Bowe, M., Stone, C., and McFadden, P., "Torque Estimation and Misfire Detection using Block Angular Acceleration," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0560, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0560.
- California Air Resources Board 1991 Technical status Update and Proposed Revisions to Malfunction and Diagnostic System Requirements Applicable to 1994 and Subsequent California Passenger Cars, Light-Duty Trucks, and Medium-Duty Vehicles - (OBDII) CARB staff report
- Lee, D. Rizzoni, G. 1995 Detection of Partial Misfire in IC Engines Using Measurement of Crankshaft Angular Velocity SAE Paper 951070
- Klenk, M. Moser, W. Mueller, W. Wimmer, W. 1993 Misfire Detection by Evaluating Crankshaft Speed - A Means to Comply with OBDII SAE Paper 93099
- Williams, J. 1996 An Overview of Misfiring Cylinder Engine Diagnostic Techniques Based on Crankshaft Angular Velocity Measurements SAE Paper 960039
- Shiao, Y. Moskwa, J.J. 1994 Misfire Detection and Cylinder Pressure Reconstruction for SI Engines SAE Paper 940144
- Citron, S.J. O'Higgins, J.E. Chen, L. 1989 Cylinder by Cylinder Engine Pressure and Pressure Torque Waveform Determination Utilizing Speed Fluctuations SAE Paper 890486
- Plapp, G. Klenk, M. Moser, W. 1990 Methods of On-Board Misfire Detection SAE Paper 900232
- Iida, K. Akishino, K. Kido, K. 1990 IMEP Estimation from Instantaneous Crankshaft Torque Variation SAE Paper 900617
- Brown, T.S. Neill, W.S. 1992 Determination of Engine Cylinder Pressures from Crankshaft Speed Fluctuations SAE Paper 920463
- Rizzoni, G. 1986 A Dynamic Model for the Internal Combustion Engine University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Connolly, F.T. 1994 Direct Estimation of Cyclic Combustion Pressure Variability using Engine Speed Fluctuations in an Internal Combustion Engine SAE Paper 940143
- Connolly, F.T. Rizzoni, G. 1994 Real Time Estimation of Engine Torque for the Detection of Engine Misfires Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 116 675 686
- Taylor, C.F. 1985 The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice 2 MIT Press Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Thomson, W.T. 1988 Theory of Vibration with Applications Prentice Hall New Jersey
- Barnes-Moss, H.W. 1975 Adesigner's viewpoint Passenger Car Engines, ImechE Conf. Proc. 133 147 MEP London
- Heywood, J.B. 1988 Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Company New York
- Stone, C.R. 1992 Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines 2nd Macmillan
- Chen, S.K. Flynn, P. 1965 Development of a compression ignition research engine SAE Paper 650733
- Winterbone, D.E. 1986 ‘Transient performance’ Horlock, J.H. Winterbone, D.E. The Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal Combustion Engines II Oxford University Press
- Meirovitch, L. 1975 Elements of Vibration Analysis McGraw-Hill, Inc. New York
- Nakada, T. Tonosaki, H. 1994 Excitation Mechanism of Half Order Engine Vibrations Paper C487/017, Proceedings of the IMechE