This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Simulations and Experimental Measurements of the Flow Over a Rotating Wheel in a Wheel Arch
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The airflow around an idealized wheel has been modelled using Star-CD 3.1, a commercial CFD package, and measured in a wind tunnel fitted with a moving ground. Measurements were made of the static pressure along the centreline of the idealised wheel and of the vortex characteristics immediately behind the wheel.
Flow characteristics have been shown to change significantly with the introduction of wheel rotation, wheel width, and exposure to the oncoming flow. The CFD model successfully predicted the main features of the pressure profile around the wheel using the RNG k-ε turbulence model with the QUICK higher-order differencing scheme and the log-law wall function.
The size of the vortex pair immediately behind the wheel and the Cp profile along the centreline of the wheel were found to be dependant upon the width of the wheel and the exposure to the oncoming flow.
CitationSkea, A., Bullen, P., and Qiao, J., "CFD Simulations and Experimental Measurements of the Flow Over a Rotating Wheel in a Wheel Arch," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0487, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0487.
- Hucho, W.-H. “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles” 4th Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa 1998
- Pfadenhauer, M. Wickern, G. Zwicker, K. “On the Influence of Wheels and Tyres on the Aerodynamic Drag of Vehicles” MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics, Proc. sponsored by The Engineer Oct 1996
- Cogotti, A. “Aerodynamic Characteristics for Car Wheels. Impact on Aerodynamics on Vehicle Design” Int. J. of Vehicle Design London 1983 173 196
- Mercker, E. Breuer, N. Berneburg, H. Emmelmann, H.J. “On the Aerodynamic Interference Due to the Rolling Wheels of Passenger Cars” SAE paper 910311 Detroit 1991
- Wiedemann, J. “The influence of ground simulation and wheel rotation on aerodynamic drag optimisation - potential for reducing fuel consumption” SAE paper 960672
- Oswald, L.J. Browne, A.L. “The Airflow Field Around An Operating Tire and Its Effect on Tire Power Loss” SAE paper 810166 Detroit 1981
- Scibor-Rylski, A.J. “Road Vehicle Aerodynamics” 2nd Pentech Press London 1984
- Fabijanic, J. “An Experimental Investigation of Wheel Well Flows” SAE paper 960901 1996
- Mercker, E. Berneburg, H. “On the simulation of road driving of a passenger car in a wind tunnel using a moving belt and rotating wheels” 3 rd Int. Conf. Innovation and Reliability Florence April 8 10 1992
- Stapleford, W.R. Carr G.W. “Aerodynamic Characteristics of Exposed Rotating Wheels” Report No. 1970/2 The Motor Industry Research Association 1969
- Fackrell, J.E. Harvey J.K. “The Flow Field and Pressure Distribution of an Isolated Road Wheel” Advances in Road Vehicle Aerodynamics, Paper 10 BHRA 1973
- Axon, L. Garry, K. Howell, J. “An Evaluation of CFD for Modelling the Flow Around Stationary and Rotating Wheels” SAE paper 980032
- Axon, L. Garry, K. Howell “The Influence of Ground Condition on the Flow Around a Wheel Located Within a Wheelhouse Cavity” SAE 1999-01-0806
- Skea, A.F. Bullen, P.R. Qiao, J. “The use of CFD to Predict the Air Flow Around a Rotating Wheel” 2 nd MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics 1998