This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Some Empirical Observations on Diesel Particulate Filter Modeling and Comparison Between Simulations and Experiments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
Comparisons between 1D simulations and experiments on a mini scale SiC filter are presented.
First of all, experiments with regeneration for different loading mass and soot composition enabled us to derive an improved pressure drop correlation. The assumption of constant particulate layer permeability proves unable to predict the influence of the gas temperature on the pressure drop. This discrepancy seems to be linked to the high Knudsen number of the flow in the particulate layer. A new correlation is proposed. This correlation contains four adjustable constants which have been determined on a single experimental run. Without modifying these constants, other cases have been correctly simulated. Obviously, more work is needed to substantiate this approach.
In a second step, regenerations with and without additive (Cerium) for two different soot compositions have been simulated and compared with experimental results. Soluble Organic Fraction vaporization has to be taken into account to obtain the right soot mass when regeneration begins. The experimental trend is well captured by numerical simulations.
CitationVersaevel, P., Colas, H., Rigaudeau, C., Noirot, R. et al., "Some Empirical Observations on Diesel Particulate Filter Modeling and Comparison Between Simulations and Experiments," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0477, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0477.
- Aoki H. Asano A. Kurazono K. Kobashi K. Sami H. “Numerical Simulation Model for the Regeneration Process of a Wall- Flow Monolith Diesel Particulate Filter” SAE paper 930364 1993
- Bissett E. Mathematical Modeling of the Thermal regeneration of a Wall-Flow Monolith Diesel particulate Filter” Chem. Eng. Sci. 39 7 8 1233 1984
- Bissett E. Shadman F. Thermal Regeneration of Diesel-Particulate Monolithic Filters AlChE Journal 31 5 753 May 1985
- Carman, P. C. Diffusion and flow of gases and vapours through micropores. I. Slip flow and molecular streaming Proc. R. Soc. London A203 55 74 1950
- De Soete G. Juin 1987
- Hoffmann U. Ma J. Study on Regeneration of Diesel Particulate Filter Using a Laboratory Reactor Chemical Engineering Technology 13 251 258 1990
- Koltsakis G. C. Stamatelos A. M. Modeling Catalytic Regeneration of Wall-Flow Particulate Filters Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 35 2 13 1996
- Koltsakis G. C. Stamatelos A. M. Modeling Thermal Regeneration of Wall-Flow Diesel Particulate Traps AIChE Journal 42 6 1996
- Koltsakis G. C. Stamatelos A. M. Modes of Catalytic Regeneration in Diesel Particulate Filters Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 1997 36 4155 4165
- Kuwabara, S. The forces experienced by randomly distributed parallel circular cylinders or spheres in a viscous flow at small Reynolds numbers Journal of the physical society of Japan 14 4 527 532 1959
- Lee, K. W. Reed, L. D. Gieseke, J. A. pressure drop across packed bed in the low Knudsen number regime J. Aerosol Sci. 9 557 565 1978
- Lepperhoff, G. Kroon, G. 1984
- Pattas K. N. Stamatelos A. M. Koltsakis G. C Kandylas I. P. Mustel W. Computer Aided Engineering in the Design of Catalytically Assisted Trap Systems SAE paper 970472 1997
- Pulkrabek, W. W. Ibele, E. I. The effect of temperature on the permeability of a porous material Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 30 6 1103 1109 1987
- Salvat, O. Marez, P. Belot, G. 2000 Passenger Car Serial Application of a Particulate Filter System on a Common Rail Direct Injection Diesel Engine SAE 2000
- Sorenson S. Hoj J. Stobbe P. Flow Characteristics of SiC Diesel Particulate Filter Materials SAE paper 940236 1994
- Tan, J.C. Opris, C.N. Baumgard, K.J. Johnson J.H. A Study of the Regeneration Process in Diesel Particulate Traps Using a Copper Fuel Additive SAE paper 960136 1996
- Vuk C. T. Jones M. A. Johnson J. H. The measurement and analysis of the physical character of diesel particulate emissions SAE paper 760131 1976