This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of High Density P/M Connecting Rods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
Prototypes available for tests at an early development stage make it possible to reduce the lead-time for introduction of new P/M components for the automotive industry. This is of special importance for parts such as connecting rods, cam lobes and transmission gears etc.
Pilot series of prototypes, made of high performing materials, have been warm compacted and evaluated with respect to material properties and robustness.
Warm compaction is compared to other manufacturing techniques suited for high performing applications. Aspects of manufacturing and its capabilities are given.
Material properties, the shaping ability of warm compaction and the specific demands caused by the operation of the component were taken into consideration at the early stage of design of the prototypes. For the most critical applications, the design of the prototypes has been optimised by Finite Element Analysis.
The design procedure for a warm compacted connecting rod for a mass produced passenger car engine is described. Stress analysis carried out for warm compacted and base line (forged and powder forged) con rods are presented. Pilot series of prototypes have been evaluated with respect to dimensions, material properties and mechanical performance.
|Technical Paper||Higher Fatigue Strength Materials for Powder Metal Forged Connecting Rods|
|Technical Paper||Fracture Splitting of Powder Forged Connecting Rods|
|Technical Paper||Designing to Resist Fatigue - Examples of Component Design|
CitationSkoglund, P., Bengtsson, S., Bergkvist, A., Sherborne, J. et al., "Performance of High Density P/M Connecting Rods," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0403, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0403.
- Pischel, H. Stand und Entwicklungstendenzen Beim Herstellen von Pleueln Werkstatt und Betrieb Dec. 1990 Germany 123 12 949 955 0043-2792
- Wrigley, A. Ford Set to Expand P/M Use in Engines American Metal Market 20 Sept. 1991 99 181 5 0002-9998
- Araki, S. Satoh, T. Takahara, H. Ochi, T. Application of Powder Forging to Automotive Connecting Rods Kobe Research and Development Jan. 1992 Japan 42 1 24 27 0373-8868
- Haimerl, M. Sinterschmidepleuel für BMW V-8-Zylinder “Innovative und wirtschaftlische Bauteile durch Pulvermetallurgie” Symposium held 25/26 November, 1993 Hagen, Germany 76 99 VDI Verlag 1993
- Albano-Müller, L. Arnold, V. Neubert, H. Weber, M. Powder Forged Connecting Rod Combined with Fracture Splitting Technology Process Product and Econimics Proc. 1993 World Congress July 12-15 1993 Kyoto, Japan Bando, Y Kosuge, K 895 898
- Sonsino, C.M. Fatigue Design of Sintered Connecting Rods Met. Powder Rep. June 1990 45 6 408 412 0026-0657
- Suzuki, S. Toyama, D. Konda, N. Development of As-sintered Automotive Connecting Rod Met. Powder Rep. Nov. 1988 43 11 761 764