This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Lidar-Based and Radar-Based Adaptive Cruise Control Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
Since the late 1980s, Delphi Automotive Systems has been very involved with the practical development of a variety of Collision Avoidance products for the near- and long-term automotive market. Many of these complex collision avoidance products will require the integration of various vehicular components/systems in order to provide a cohesive functioning product that is seamlessly integrated into the vehicle infrastructure. One such example of this system integration process was the development of an Adaptive Cruise Control system on an Opel Vectra. The design approach heavily incorporated system engineering processes/procedures. The critical issues and other technical challenges in developing these systems will be explored. Details on the hardware and algorithms developed for this vehicle, as well as the greater systems integration issues that arose during its development will also be presented. Actual on-road test results of the Adaptive Cruise Control system are discussed and compared for the two types of sensors.
|Technical Paper||From Adaptive Cruise Control to Active Safety Systems|
|Technical Paper||An Adaptive Cruise Control Using Wheel Torque Management Technique|
|Technical Paper||Autonomous Cruise Control: A First Step Towards Automated Driving|
- Glenn R. Widmann - Delphi Automotive Systems
- Michele K. Daniels - Delphi Automotive Systems
- Lisa Hamilton - Delphi Automotive Systems
- Lawrence Humm - Delphi Automotive Systems
- Bryan Riley - Delphi Automotive Systems
- Jan K. Schiffmann - Delphi Automotive Systems
- David E. Schnelker - Delphi Automotive Systems
- William H. Wishon - Delphi Automotive Systems
CitationWidmann, G., Daniels, M., Hamilton, L., Humm, L. et al., "Comparison of Lidar-Based and Radar-Based Adaptive Cruise Control Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0345, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0345.
SAE 2000 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Electronic and Electrical Systems
Number: V109-7 ; Published: 2001-09-15
Number: V109-7 ; Published: 2001-09-15
- Blincoe J.L.; The Economic Cost of Motor Vehicle Crashes 1994, U.S. Department of Transportation (Report DOT HS 808-425), 1996.
- Knipling R., et al.; Rear End Crashes: Problem Size Assessment and Statistical Description, U.S. Dept of Transportation (NHTSA Technical Report HS807-994), Springfield, VA, 1993.
- Knipling R., et al.; Assessment of IVHS Countermeasures- for Collision Avoidance: Rear End Crashes, U.S. Dept of Transportation (NHTSA Technical Report HS807995), Springfield, VA, 1993.
- Widmann G.R., Bauson W.A. & Alland S.W.; Collision Avoidance Activities at Delphi Automotive Systems; IEEE Conf. on Intelligent Vehicles '98, Stuttgart Germany, 1998.
- Schiffmann J. & Widmann G.R.; Model-Based Scene Tracking using Radar Sensors for Intelligent Automotive Vehicle Systems, IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conf., Boston, MA, 1997.
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO); A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets, AASHTO, Washington DC, page 174, 1984.
- Widmann G., Daniels M., Hamilton L., Humm L., Riley B., Schiffmann J., Schnelker D. & Wishon W.; Adaptive Cruise Control: Forging Components into Systems, and Systems into a Company, Techcon '99, Kokomo, Indiana, 1999.
- Jurgen R.K.; Automotive Electronics Handbook (2nd edition), McGraw-Hills, 1999.
- Ioannou P. & Xu Z.; Throttle and Brake Control System for Automatic Vehicle Following, IVHS Journal, Vol. 1(4), 1994.
- Bjornberg A.; “Design of Control Algorithms for Intelligent Cruise Control”, Ph.D. Thesis, Chalmers Univ. of Tech., Goteborg, Sweden, Oct. 1994.
- Mayr R.; Nonlinear vehicle distance control in longitudinal direction, Int. J. of Systems Science, Vol. 27, No. 8, 1996.
- Seto Y., Murakami T., Inoue H. & Tange S.; Developments in Headway Distance Control Systems, Automotive Engineering International, Aug 1998.
- Fancher P., Ervin R. & Bogard S.; Operational testing of Adaptive Cruise Control, Automotive Engineering International, Sept 1998.