This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Initial In-Cylinder Flow Field on Mixture Formation in a Premixed Compression Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
To find more effective lean mixture preparation methods for smokeless and low NOx combustion, a numerical study of the effects of in-cylinder flow field before injection on mixture formation in a premixed compression ignition engine was conducted. Premixed compression ignition combustion is a very attractive method to reduce both NOx and soot emissions, but it still has some problems, such as high HC and CO emissions. In case of early direct injection, it is important to avoid wall wetting by spray impingement, which can cause higher HC and CO emissions. Since it is not easy to examine the effects of initial flow and injection parameters on mixture formation over the wide range by practical engine tests, a computer program named “GTT (Generalized Tank and Tube)” code was used to simulate the in-cylinder phenomena before autoignition. Different combinations of the initial flow (including tumble flow) and fuel injection parameters were tested to predict the effects of the flow field on the fuel-air mixture formation. Based on the calculation results, possibilities to form leaner mixtures, avoiding wall wetting before autoignition, are discussed. The calculation results indicated that the in-cylinder flow field before fuel injection should be adapted to fuel injection conditions, so that fuel droplets are dispersed more widely before complete evaporation to make a leaner mixture.
- Tadashi Tsurushima - New ACE Institute Co., Ltd.
- Takeshi Miyamoto - New ACE Institute Co., Ltd.
- Hisashi Akagawa - New ACE Institute Co., Ltd.
- Yuzo Aoyagi - New ACE Institute Co., Ltd.
- Je-Hyung Lee - Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, MITI
- Daeyup Lee - Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, MITI
- Shinichi Goto - Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, MITI
- Tomoyuki Wakisaka - Kyoto University
- Takuji Ishiyama - Kyoto University
- Hiroshi Kawanabe - Kyoto University
CitationTsurushima, T., Miyamoto, T., Akagawa, H., Aoyagi, Y. et al., "Effects of Initial In-Cylinder Flow Field on Mixture Formation in a Premixed Compression Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0331, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0331.
- Takeda, Y. Nakagome, K. Niimura, K. “Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion with Extremely Early Staged Fuel Injection” SAE Transactions 105 J. of Fuel & Lubricants 938 947 1996
- Yanagihara, H. Sato, Y. Mizuta, J. “A Study of DI Diesel Combustion under Uniform-Highly Dispersed Mixture Formation” 13th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium 365 369 1996
- Nakagome, K. Shimazaki, N. Niimura, K. Kobayashi, S. “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion Engine” SAE paper 970898 1997
- Shimazaki, N. Akagawa, H. Tsujimura, K. “An Experimental Study of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion” SAE paper 1999-01-0181 1999
- Akagawa, H. Miyamoto, T. Harada, A. Sasaki, S. Shimazaki, N. Hashizume, T Tsujimura, K. “Approaches to Solve Problems of the Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion” SAE paper 1999-01-0183 1999
- Harada, A. Shimazaki, N. Sasaki, S. Miyamoto, T Akagawa, H. Tsujimura, K. “The Effects of Mixture Formation on Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion” SAE paper 980553 1998
- Iwabuchi, Y. Kawai, K. Shoji T. Takeda, Y. “Trial of New Concept Diesel Combustion System - Premixed Compression-Ignited Combustion” SAE paper 1999-01-0185 1999
- Miyamoto, T. Hayashi, A. K. Harada, A. Sasaki, S. Akagawa, H. Tsujimura, K. “Numerical Simulation of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion in a DI Engine” Proceedings of The 4th International Symp. COMODIA 98 Japan 179 184 1998
- Miyamoto, T. Hayashi, A. K. Harada, A. Sasaki, S. Akagawa, H. Tsujimura, K. “A Computational Investigation of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion” SAE paper 1999-01-0185 1999
- Wakisaka, T. Imamura, F. Takeuchi, S. Isshiki, Y. Chung, J. H. “CFD Simulation of Mixture Formation Process in Premixed Lean Combustion Diesel Engines using a GTT code” Proceedings of 15th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium (International) Seoul 459 464 1999
- Wakisaka, T. Shimamoto, Y. Isshiki, Y. Noda, T. Matsui, A. Akamatsu, S. “Numerical Analysis of Spray Phenomena in Fuel Injection Engines” Proceedings of The 3rd International Symp. COMODIA 94 Japan 403 409 1994
- Wakisaka, T. Ibaraki, K. Chung, J. H. Isshiki, Y. “A Study of Droplet and Liquid-Film Evaporation Models for Numerical Analysis of Fuel Sprays” Proceedings of 13th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium Japan 535 540 1996
- Chung, J. H. Wakisaka Ibaraki, K. Proceedings of 3rd KSME/JSME Thermal Engineering Conf. II 167 172 1996
- Tsurushima, T. Zhang, L. Ishii, Y. “A study of Unburnt Hydrocarbon Emission in Small DI Engines” SAE paper 1999-01-0512 1999