This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Applications for Clad Metals in the Automotive Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
Clad metals are metallurgical materials systems comprised of two or more metals or alloys which are metallurgically bonded to form a single material. This results in specific and unique properties of the clad metal system which are not available in a monolithic metal or alloy. Historically, they have been used for many decades by the automotive industry but the cladding process as well as the ability to design specific properties into a clad system are not well understood.
This paper describes the cold roll bonding process for fabrication of clad metals. The mechanism of bond formation and limitations of the process are discussed. Rules for calculating a number of properties of clad metals are presented. Methods for designing clad metals to obtain unique properties for specific applications are described.
The history of the use of clad metals on automobiles is also reviewed. This includes applications such as thermostat bimetal devices, heat sinks, bearing materials, heat exchanger materials, automotive trim, and bumper materials. Potential new applications where the unique properties of clad metals can be used to solve problems will be proposed.
CitationHaynes, G., Haynes, M., and Jha, B., "Applications for Clad Metals in the Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0312, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0312.
- Miller, E. Clad Metals Challenge and Opportunity Tool and Manufacturing Engineer August 1966
- Timoshenko, S. Analysis of Bimetal Thermostats Journal of the Optical Society of America and Review of Scientific Instruments 11 Sept 1925
- Gilbraith, A.C. The Design of Thermostatic Bimetal Controls The Engineering Designer Feb 1958
- Ross, J.W. Clad Metals Adapt to New Uses Materials Engineering March 1971
- Clad Metals Eye Tonnage Markets The Iron Age July 14 1966
- Finsterwalder, N.J. For Flat Springs That Carry Current Multilayer Materials Product Engineering November 12 1962
- Coad, B. Multimetal Parts Stamped from Clad Metal Strip Product Engineering January 9 1961
- Baboian, R. Corrosion-Resistant, High-Strength Clad Metal System for Hydraulic Brake Line Tubing Paper 720290 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit January 1972
- Baboian, R. Clad Metals in Automotive Trim Applications.” Paper 710276 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit January 1971
- Baboian, R. Causes and Effects of Corrosion Relating to Exterior Trim on Automobiles Proceedings of the 2 nd Automotive Corrosion Prevention Conference, SAE Publication P-136 223 227 December 1983
- Haynes, M. Haynes, G. Hager, R. The Properties of Bright Stainless Steel Clad to Aluminum for Class 8 Truck Bumper Applications Paper 1999-01-1006 presented at SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit March 1999
- Baboian, R. Karavolis, M. Applications of Clad Metals in Brazed Heat Exchangers Paper 930150, presented at SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit March 1993
- Haynes, G. Baboian, R. Galvanic Corrosion Behavior of Copper and Stainless Steel in Heat Exchanger Environments Proceedings of 1993Vehicle Thermal Management Systems Conference, SAE Publication p-263 321 331 March 1993
- Scott, A.C. Woods, R.A. Long Life Aluminum Brazing Alloys for Automobile Radiators Paper No.544, Corrosion/98 NACE Houston, TX
- Durst, G. A Few Observations on Solid Phase Bonding Metal Progress 97 102 January 1947
- Durst, G. A New Development in Metal Cladding Journal of Metals 328 333 March 1956
- Delagi, R. Designing with Clad Metals, Part I Machine Design November 20 1980
- Delagi, R. Designing with Clad Metals, Part II Machine Design December 20 1980
- Hawkins, R. Wright, J.C. Mechanical Properties and Press Formability of Copper/Mild Steel Sandwich Sheet Materials Journal of the Institute of Metals 99 357 371 1971
- Savolainen, U. Methods of Calculating The Properties of Multilayer Clad Metals Internal Report, Metals and Controls Division, Texas Instruments Incorporated November 1961
- Savolainen, U. Sears, R.M. Thermostat Metals Composite Engineering Laminates Dietz, G.H. The MIT Press.
- Haynes, G. Jha, B. Joining Aluminum to Steel with Transition Material Paper 1999-01-0660, presented at SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit March 1999
- Chang, C.S. Jha, B. High Temperature Oxidation Behavior of Fe-Cr-Al Foils Paper 540, CORROSION/98 NACE Houston, TX
- Dance, F.J. Gondusky, J.M. Copper Clad Stainless Steel Lead Frame Material Offers Performance Improvements Semiconductor International 197 192 April 1982
- Haynes, G.S. Baboian, R. Corrosion Barrier Materials for the Communications Industry Materials Performance 16 9 September 1977
- Delagi, R.G. Trenkler, Y. Electromagnetic Interference Texas Instruments Technical Journal 1993