This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of Fuel Distribution in the Piston Cavity of Direct Injection SI Engine by Using LIF
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
In-cylinder flow and fuel behaviors in the piston cavity of a direct injection SI engine were measured by using PIV and LIF. The effect of the cavity wall on the mixing process was the focus in this study. The optical prism was installed inside piston to observe air flow and fuel behavior on a horizontal plane of the cavity combustion chamber in the piston. The fuel spray mainly impinged on the cavity bottom surface and rolled up along the cavity wall near the spark plug by it's own momentum. Then it was evaporated and diffused by swirl flow. The effect of fuel injection timing on the mixing process was also investigated. Earlier injection timing made fuel momentum small up to the time of impingement. Therefore, the fuel vapor was considerably diffused by swirl flow in the piston cavity and fuel vapor concentration near the spark plug was low.
CitationTabata, M., Kataoka, M., Tanaka, T., and Yamakawa, M., "Measurement of Fuel Distribution in the Piston Cavity of Direct Injection SI Engine by Using LIF," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0240, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0240.
Combustion, Flow Diagnostics, and In-Cylinder Velocity Measurement
Number: SP-1529; Published: 2000-03-06
Number: SP-1529; Published: 2000-03-06
- Iwamoto Y. Noma K. Yamaguchi T. Ando H. “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine” SAE Paper 970541
- Harada J. Tomita T. Mizuno H. Mashiki Z. Ito Y. “Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper 970540
- Kakuhou A. Urushihara T. Ito T. Takagi Y. “Characteristics of Mixture Formation in a Direct Injection SI Engine with Optimized In-Cylinder Swirl Air Motion” SAE Paper 1999-01-0505
- Geiger J. Grigo, M Lang O. Wolters P. Hupperich P. “Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - Combustion and Design” SAE Paper 1999-01”0170
- Fujikawa T. Hattori Y. Akihama K. Koike M. “Quantitative 2-D Fuel Distribution Measurements in a Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine Using Laser-Induced Fluorescence Technique” 4 th International Symposium COMODIA 98 July 1998
- Kakuhou A. Urushihara T. Ito T. Takagi Y.
- “LIF Visualization of In-Cylinder Mixture Formation in a Direct-Injection SI Engine” 4 th International Symposium COMODIA 98 July 1998
- Bardsley M. E. A. Felton P.G. Bracco F. V. “2-D Visualization of Liquid and Vapor Fuel in an I.C. Engine” SAE Paper 880521 1988
- Bardsley M. E. A. Felton P. G. Bracco F. V. “2-D Visualization of a Hollow-Cone Spray in a Cup-in-Head, Ported, I.C. Engine” SAE Paper 890315 1989
- Fujimoto M. Tabata M. “Effect of Swirl Rate on Mixture Formation in a Spark Ignition Engine Based on Laser 2-D Visualization Techniques” SAE Paper 931905 1993
- Shack D. H. Reynolds W. C. “Application of Particle Tracking Velocimetry to the Cyclic Variability of the Pre-Combustion Flow Field in a Motored Axisymmetric Engine” SAE Paper 910475 1991
- Khalighi B. “Intake-Generated Swirl and Tumble Motions in a 4-Valve Engine with Various Intake Configurations-Flow Visualization and Particle Tracking Velocimetry” SAE Paper 900059 1990
- Reuss D. L. Adrian R. J. Landreth C. C. French D. T. Fansler T. D. “Instantaneous Planer Measurements of Velocity and Large-Scale Vorticity and Strain Rate in an Engine Using Particle Image Velocimetry” SAE Paper 890618 1989
- Kudou H. Yamamoto H. Iida Y. “A Study About In-Cylinder Flow and Combustion in a 4-Valve S.I. Engine” SAE Paper 920574 1992
- Melton L. A. “Spectrally Separated Fluorescence Emissions for Diesel Fuel Droplets and Vapor” Applied Optics 22 2224 2226 1983
- Melton L. A. Verdieck J. F. “Vapor/Liquid Visualization in Fuel Sprays” Twentieth Symposium on Combustion 1283 1290 1984