This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Energy Based Analysis for Neck Forces in Frontal Impacts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
In 1997 Mertz, Prasad and Irwin  have described a technique for the development of injury risk curves for measurements made with the CRABI and Hybrid III family of biofidelic child and adult dummies that are used to evaluate restraint systems in frontal collision simulations. They further developed normalized injury risk curves for neck tension, neck extension moment, combined neck tension and extension moment for adults and children.
The approach described by Mertz et al , is based on lines of equivalent stress and uses the maximum normal stress theory of failure to impose limits of the risk of injuries. In this paper a complementary approach is described based on the maximum energy of failure and lines of constant energy. A special case of this approach in 1D is used to develop the assessment values obtained by Mertz et al . Limitations and advantages of the energy based approach are described, with especial emphasis on future implementation.
|Technical Paper||Injury Severity in Restrained Children in Motor Vehicle Crashes|
|Technical Paper||Adult Seat Belts: How Safe Are They for Children?|
|Technical Paper||A Method to Assess the Effectiveness of Child Restraint Systems|
CitationHassan, J. and Nusholtz, G., "An Energy Based Analysis for Neck Forces in Frontal Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0166, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0166.
- Mertz, H. Prasad, P. Irwin, A.L. Injury Risk Curves for Children and Adults in Frontal and Rear Collisions SAE 973318
- Prasad, P. Mertz, H. J., The Position of the United States Delegates to the ISO Working Group 6 on the Use of HIC in the Automotive Environment SAE 851246 1985
- Mertz, H. J., Prasad, P. Nusholtz, G., Head Injury Risk Assessment for Forehead Impacts SAE 960099 , February, 1996
- Mertz, H. J., Prasad, P. Nusholtz, G., Head Injury Risk Assessments Based on 15 ms HIC and Peak Head Acceleration Criteria Proceeding of AGARD Meeting on Impact Head Injury November 7-9 1996
- Mertz, H. J. Horsck, J. D. Horn, G. Lowne, R. W. Hybrid III Sternal Deflection Associated with Thoracic Injury Severities of Occupants Restrained with Force – Limiting Shoulder Belts SAE 910812 , February 1991
- Viano, D. V. Lau, I. V., Thoracic Impact: A Viscous Tolerance Criterion Proceeding of the Tenth Experimental Safety Vehicle Conference July, 1985
- Mertz, H. J. Weber, D. A., Interpretations of the Impact Responses of a 3-Year Old Child Dummy Relative to Child Injury Potential Proceedings of the Ninth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Kyoto, Japan November 1-4, 1982 Also Published in SAE 826048, SP-736 Automatic Occupant Protection Systems, February, 1988
- Wolanin, M. J. Mertz, H. J. Nyznyk, R. S. Vincent, J. H. Description and Basis of a Three-Year- Old Child Dummy for Evaluation Passenger Inflatable Restraint Concepts Proceedings of the Ninth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Kyoto, Japan November 1-4, 1982 Also published in SAE 826040, SP-736, February, 1988
- Mertz, H. J. Driscoll, G. D. Lenox, J. B. Nyquist, G. W. Weber, D. A. Responses of Animals Exposed to Deployment of Various Passenger Inflatable Restraint System Concepts for a Variety of Collision Severities and Animal Positions Proceedings of the Ninth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Kyoto, Japan November 1-4, 1982 Also published in SAE 826047, PT31)
- Prasad, P. Daniel, R. P., A Biomechanical Analysis of Head, Neck and Torso Injuries to Child Surrogates Due to Sudden Torso Acceleration Twenty- Eighth Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE 841656 , November 1984
- Neather, R. F., Kroell, C. K. Mertz, H. J., Prediction of Thoracic Injury from Dummy Responses Nineteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE 751151 , November 1975
- Weber, K. Lehman, R. J., Child Anthropometry for Restraint System Design”, UMTRI-85-23m June 1985
- Schneider, L. W. Robbins, D. H. Pflug, M. A. Snyder, R. G., Development of Anthropometrically Based Design Specification for an Advanced Adult Anthropomorphic Dummy Family 1 December, 1983
- Mertz, H. J. Irwin, A. L. Melvin, J. W. Stalnaker, R. L., Beebe, M. S. Size, Weight, and Biomechanical Impact Response Requirements for Adult Size Small Female and Large Male Dummies SAE 890756 , March 1989
- Mertz, H. J. Irwin, A. L. Biomechanical Basis for the CRABI and Hybrid III Child Dummies Forty- First Stapp Car Crash Conference November, 1997
- Mertz., H. J., Anthropomorphic Test Divices Accident Injury – Biomechanics and Prevention, Springer-Verlag, N. Y 1993
- Anthropomorphic Dummies for Crash and Escape System Testing AGARD-AR-330, July, 1996.
- Melvin, J. W., Injury Assessment Reference Values for the CRABI 6-month Infant Dummy in a Rear-Facing Infant Restraint with Airbag Deployment SAE 950872 , February 1995
- Rouhana, S. W., Jedrzejczak, E. A. McCleary, J. P., Assessing Submarining and Abdominal Injury Risk in the Hybrid III Family of Dummies: Part II – Development of the Small Female Frangible Abdomen Thirty-Fourth Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 902317 , November 1990
- Mertz, H. J. Patrick, L. M., Investigation of the Kinematics and Kinetics of Whiplash”, Eleventh Stapp Car Crash Conference, October 1967
- Mertz, H. J. Patrick, L. M., Strength and Response of the Human Neck SAE 710855 Fifteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference November 1971
- Currey, J. D. Butler, G., The mathematical properties of bone tissue in children Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 57A, 810-814 1975
- Goldstein, S. Biomechanics of bone Accidental Injury, ed. Nahum, A. M. And Melvin, J.W., Springer-Verlag, 1993
- Qing Zhou, Age Effects on Thoracic Injury Tolerance SAE 962421
- Mertz, H. Nusholtz G. Prasad, P. Proposal for Dummy Response Limits for FMVSS 208 Complience Testing Biomechanics Task Group, AAMA Dec 1998
- De Jager, M., Sauren, A., Thunnissen Wismans J. A Global and a detailed mathematical model for Head-Neck Dynamics SAE 962430
- Yogananadan, N., Pintar,Maiman,Cusick,Sances and Walsh, “Human head-neck biomechanics under axial tension Med. Eng. Phys. V. 18 1 1996