This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Application of a Technology Impact Forecasting (TIF) Method to an Uninhabited Combat Aerial Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In today’s atmosphere of lower U.S. defense spending and reduced research budgets, determining how to allocate resources for research and design has become a critical and challenging task. In the area of aircraft design there are many promising technologies to be explored, yet limited funds with which to explore them. In addition, issues concerning uncertainty in technology readiness as well as the quantification of the impact of a technology (or combinations of technologies), are of key importance during the design process. The methodology presented in this paper details a comprehensive and structured process in which to explore the effects of technology for a given baseline aircraft. This process, called Technology Impact Forecasting (TIF), involves the creation of a forecasting environment for use in conjunction with defined technology scenarios. The advantages and limitations of the method will be discussed, as well its place in an overall methodology used for technology infusion. In addition, the example TIF application used in this paper, that of an Uninhabited Combat Aerial Vehicle, serves to illustrate the applicability of this methodology to a military system.
|Technical Paper||Workload and Automation|
|Book||Aircraft as a System of Systems: A Business Process Perspective|
|Technical Paper||SUBSYSTEM INTEGRATION TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT METHODOLOGY|
CitationMavris, D., Soban, D., and Largent, M., "An Application of a Technology Impact Forecasting (TIF) Method to an Uninhabited Combat Aerial Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-5633, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-5633.
- Fabrycky, W.J., Blanchard, B.S., Life-Cycle Cost and Economic Analysis, Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1991.
- Roth, B., and Mavris, D., “Analysis of Advanced Technology Impact on HSCT Engine Cycle Performance”, Presented at the 35th Joint Propulsion Conference, Los Angeles, June 1999, AIAA 99-2379.
- Mavris, D.N., Baker, A.P., Schrage, D.P., “Implementation of a Technology Impact Forecast Technique on a Civil Tiltrotor”, Proceedings of the 55th National Forum of the American Helicopter Society, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, May 25-27 1999.
- Mavris, D.N., Kirby, M.R., Qiu, S., “Technology Impact Forecasting for a High Speed Civil Transport”, World Aviation Congress and Exposition, Anaheim, CA, September 28-30 1998. SAE-985547.
- Kirby, M.R., Mavris, D.N., “Forecasting the Impact of Technology Infusion on Subsonic Transport Affordability”, World Aviation Congress and Exposition, Anaheim, CA, September 28-30 1998. SAE-985576.
- Mavris, D.N., Kirby, M.R., “Forecasting Technology Uncertainty in Preliminary Aircraft Design”, World Aviation Congress,San Francisco, CA, October 19- 21 1999. SAE Paper 1999-01-5631.
- Mavris, D.N., Kirby, M.R., “Technology Identification, Evaluation, and Selection for Commercial Transport Aircraft”, 58th Annual Conference Of Society of Allied Weight Engineers, San Jose, California 24-26 May 1999.
- Box, G.E.P, Draper, N.R.Empirical Model Building and Response Surfaces, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1987.
- Montegomery, D.C.,Design and Analysis of Experiments, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1991.
- Mavris, D.N., Bandte, O., Schrage, D.P., “Application of Probabilistic Methods for the Determination of an Economically Robust HSCT Configuration”, AIAA 96- 4090.
- DeLaurentis, D.A., Mavris, D.N., Schrage, D.P., “System Synthesis in Preliminary Aircraft Design Using Statistical Methods”, 20th International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences (ICAS) Congress, Sorrento, Italy, September 8-13 1996.
- DeLaurentis, D.A., Mavris, D.N., Calise, A.C., Schrage, D.P., “Generating Dynamic Models Including Uncertainty for Use in Aircraft Conceptual Design,” AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference, New Orleans, LA, Aug. 1997. AIAA-97-3590.
- SAS Institute Inc,. JMP, Computer Program and Users Manual, Cary, NC, 1994
- Decisioneering, Inc., Crystal Ball, Computer Program and Users Guide, Denver, CO, 1993.
- Ruszkowski, Robert A, Conversation on July 6, 1999. and corresponding email.