This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of X-Ray Microtomography to the Study of Polymer Composites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The ability to make precise X-ray attenuation measurements on very small volume elements is a developing technology. This technology is known as X-ray micro-tomography to delineate the method as a form of X-ray microscopy that uses tomographic reconstruction techniques to build three-dimensional images of micro-structure. The morphological data of a microstructure are usually collected from plane cross sections taken through an opaque material. This necessary step results in a great loss of information regarding spatial features of the dispersion. In order to overcome this difficulty X-ray micro-tomography is applied to extract the 3-D information that may be used for micromechanical modelling purposes.
|Technical Paper||New Scratch Measurement Technique for Exterior Body Systems|
|Technical Paper||Biodiesel Permeability in Polyethylene|
|Technical Paper||High-Performance Thermoplastic Exterior Body Panels|
CitationPyrz, R., "Application of X-Ray Microtomography to the Study of Polymer Composites," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-5614, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-5614.
- Pyrz, R. Recent Trends in Morphological Characterization of Microstructures in Polymer Composites Proceedings of the 18 th Risø International Symposium on Materials Science, Risø National Laboratory skilde, Denmark 1997 Andersen, S.I., et. al. 81 99
- Pyrz, R. Bochenek, B. Topological Disorder of Microstructure and Its Relation to the Stress Field International Journal of Solids and Structures 35 19 1998 2413 2427
- Pyrz, R. Fractal Characterization of Second-Phase Dispersion in Composite Materials Science and Engineering of Composite Materials 6 3 1997 141 150
- Erre, D. Thomas, X. Mouze, D. Patat, J.M. Trebbia, P. Xazaux, J. Prospects of X-ray Microscopy and X-ray Microtomography for Interface Studies Surface and Interface Analysis 19 1992 89 92
- Phillips, D.M. Lannutti, J.J. Measuring Physical Density with X-ray Computed Tomography NDT & E International 30 6 1997 339 350
- Bart-Smith, H. Bastawros, A.-F. Mumm, D.R. Evans, A.G. Sypeck, D.J. Wadley, N.G. Compressive Deformation and Yielding Mechanisms in Cellular Al Alloys Determined Using X-ray Tomography and Surface Strain Mapping Acta Materialia 46 10 1998 3583 3592
- Pyrz, R. Nondestructive Characterization of Woven Fabric Polymeric Composites by X-ray Microtomography in print Composite Science and Technology 1999
- Sasov, A. Van Dyck, D. Desktop X-ray Microscopy and Microtomography Journal of Microscopy 191 2 1998 151 158
- Weibel, E.R. Stereological Methods Academic Press London 1980
- Pyrz, R. Correlation of Microstructure Variability and Local Stress Field in Two-Phase Materials Materials Science and Engineering A177 1994 253 259