This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Spray Formation of DI Gasoline Hollow-Cone Injectors Inside a Pressure Chamber and a Glass Ring Engine by Multiple Optical Techniques
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper describes detailed studies about the spray formation of a direct-injection high-pressure gasoline injector and the interaction of the droplets with the surrounding compressed air in pressure chamber experiments and inside an optically accessible research engine. Different optical techniques, like stroboscopic video technique, high-speed filming with flood-light illumination or with light-sheet illumination by a copper vapour laser, particle image velocimetry of the droplets, laser-induced fluorescence of the liquid phase, and spontaneous Raman spectroscopy for the measurement of the fuel/air ratio are used. From the recorded images spray characteristics such as spray penetration and spray cone angle are evaluated for different settings of the chamber pressure and temperature and for different rail pressures. The results show that all techniques are suitable to derive the quantities mentioned above. Their differences are not larger than the shot-to-shot variations, but for a direct comparison of results it is advisable to keep the same optical technique.
Measurements performed in the combustion chamber of a DI gasoline engine show stronger cycle-to-cycle variations compared to pressure chamber experiments. Both systematic pressure chamber experiments under well defined conditions as well as measurements in optically accessible engines highlight special phenomena of the spray formation process and thus support the development of the combustion process for DI gasoline engines.
CitationHentschel, W., Homburg, A., Ohmstede, G., Müller, T. et al., "Investigation of Spray Formation of DI Gasoline Hollow-Cone Injectors Inside a Pressure Chamber and a Glass Ring Engine by Multiple Optical Techniques," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3660, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3660.
- Grünefeld, G. Beushausen, V. Andresen, P. Hentschel, W. A major orgin of cyclic energy conversion variations in SI engines: Cycle-to-cycle variations of the equivalence ration and residual gas of the initial charge SAE Technical Paper Series 941880
- Grünefeld, G. Schütte, M. Nassif-Pugsley, D. Andresen, P. Hentschel, W. Homburg, A. Air-Fuel Ratio Measurements in Direct Injection Gasoline Sprays using 1D Raman Scattering SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit 2000
- Harada J. Tomita, T. Mizuno, H. Mashiki, Z. Ito, Y. Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper Series 970540
- Hentschel, W. Modern Tools for diesel engine combustion investigation Proc. 26 th Symp. Int. on Combustion / The Combustion Institute 1996 2503 2515
- Hentschel, W. Block, B. Oppermann, W. PIV-Investigation of the In-cylinder Tumble Flow in an IC-engine Proc. 8th Int. Conf. on Laser Anemometry Rome 1999
- Iwamoto, Y. Noma, K. Nakayama, O. Yamauchi, T. Ando, H. Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper Series 970541
- Krebs, R. Spiegel, L. Stiebels, B. Ottomotoren mit Direkteinspritzung von Volkswagen 8 th Aachen Colloquium Automobil and Engine Technology Oct. 1999
- Matsushita, S. Development of the Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine (D4) JSAE-Symposium
- Nohira, H. Ito, S. Development of Toyota's Direct Injection Gasoline Engine AVL Tagung „Motor und Umwelt” 1997
- Ohmstede, G. Homburg, A. Hentschel, W. Walzel P. et al. Essen, Germany 1998 17-1 17-8
- Preussner C. Döring, C. Fehler, S. Kampmann, S. GDI: Interaction between mixture preparation, combustion system and injector performance SAE Technical Paper Series 980498