This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of an LPG DI Diesel Engine Using Cetane Number Enhancing Additives
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A feasibility study of an LPG DI diesel engine has been carried out to study the effectiveness of two selected cetane enhancing additives: Di-tertiary-butyl peroxide (DTBP) and 2-Ethylhexyl nitrate (EHN). When more than either 5 wt% DTBP or 3.5 wt% 2EHN was added to the base fuel (100 % butane), stable engine operation over a wide range of engine loads was possible (BMEPs of 0.03 to 0.60 MPa). The thermal efficiency of LPG fueled operation was found to be comparable to diesel fuel operation at DTBP levels over 5 wt%. Exhaust emissions measurements showed that NOx and smoke levels can be significantly reduced using the LPG+DTBP fuel blend compared to a light diesel fuel at the same experimental conditions. Correlations were derived for the measured ignition delay, BMEP, and either DTBP concentration or cetane number.
When propane was added to a butane base fuel, the ignition delay became longer. A simple thermodynamic model, using the detailed reaction mechanism of butane and DTBP, was developed to calculate the ignition delay as a function of overall equivalence ratio (or BMEP).
- Shinichi Goto - Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, MITI
- Daeyup Lee - Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, MITI
- Yoshitaka Wakao - Iwatani International Corporation
- Hidekazu Honma - Iwatani International Corporation
- Makihiko Mori - Iwatani International Corporation
- Yukio Akasaka - JOMO Technical Research Center
- Kohtaro Hashimoto - JOMO Technical Research Center
- Masamitsu Motohashi - Ibaraki University
- Mitsuru Konno - Ibaraki University
CitationGoto, S., Lee, D., Wakao, Y., Honma, H. et al., "Development of an LPG DI Diesel Engine Using Cetane Number Enhancing Additives," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3602, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3602.
SAE 1999 Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V108-4 ; Published: 2000-09-15
Number: V108-4 ; Published: 2000-09-15
- Goto, S., Shakal, J. and Daigo, H., “LPG engine research and development in Japan”, Int'l Congress on Transportation Electronics (Convergence '96), 1996.
- Goto, S., Lee, D., Shakal, J., Harayama, N., Honjyo, F. and Ueno, H., “Performance and emissions of an LPG lean-burn engine for heavy duty vehicles”, SAE paper 1999-01-1513 (1999).
- Kajitani, S., Chen, Z. L., Konno, M. and Rhee, K.T., “Engine performance and exhaust characteristics of direct-injection diesel engine operated with DME” SAE Paper 972973 (1997).
- Kajitani, S., Chen, C. L., Oguma, M., Alam, M. and Rhee, K.T., “Direct injection diesel engine operated with propane-DME blended fuel” SAE Paper 982536 (1998).
- Heywood, J.B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamen-tals, McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- Hashimoto, K., Akutsu, Y., Arai, M. and Tamura, M., “Chemical reaction mechanism of centane number improving agents”, Sekiyu gakkaishi, 41, (5)341(1998).
- Hashimoto, K., Kawakatsu, Y., Arai, M. and Tamura, M., “Study of cetane number enhancing effect of a diesel fuel”, Nippon Enerugi Gakkaishi(in Japanese), 74, 200 (1995).
- Nandi, M.K. and Jacobs, D.C., “Cetane response of di-tertiary butyl peroxide in different diesel fuels”, SAE paper 952368 (1995).
- Al-Rubaie, M, Griffiths, J.F. and Sheppard, C.G.W., “Some observation on the effectiveness of additives for reducing the ignition delay period of diesel fuels”, SAE paper 912333 (1991).
- Goodrich, B.E., McDuff, P.J., Krupa, C.C., Alvarez, L., Williams, A.M. and DeJovine J.M., “A no-harm test matrix investigating the effect of di-tert-butyl peroxide (DTBP) cetane number improver on diesel fuel properities”, SAE paper 982574 (1998).
- Thompson, A.A., Lambert, S.W. and Mulqueen, S.C., “Prediction and precision of cetane number improver response equations”, SAE paper 972901 (1997).
- Kulinowski, A. M., Henly, T. J. and Stocky, T. P., “The effect of 2-ethihexyl nitrate cetane improver on engine durability”, SAE paper 981364 (1998).
- Spadaccini, L.J. and Tevelde, J.A., “Autoignition characteristics of aircraft-type fuels”, Combust. Flame, (46)283-300 (1982).
- Glassman, I, Combustion, 2nd ed., Academic Press, 1987.
- Hardenberg, H.O. and Hase, F.W., “An empirical formula for computing the pressure rise delay of a fuel from its cetane number and from the relevant parameters of direct-injection diesel engines”, SAE paper 790493 (1979).
- Clothier, P.Q.E., Pritchard, H.O. and Poirier, M.-A., “Synergy between additives in stimulating diesel-fuel ignition”, Combust. Flame, (95)427-429 (1993).
- Clothier, P.Q.E., Moise, A. and Pritchard, H.O., “Effect of free-radical release on diesel ignition delay under simulated cold-starting conditions”, Combust. Flame, (81)242-250 (1990).
- Warth, V., Stef, N., Glaude, P.A., Battin-Leclerc, F., Scacchi, G. and Come, G.M., “Computer aided design of gas-phase mechanisms- Application to the modeling of normal butane oxidation”, Combust. Flame, (114)81 (1998).
- Griffiths, J.F. and Phillips, C.H., “Experimental and numerical studies of the combustion of ditertiary butyl peroxide in the presence of oxygen at low pressures in a mechanically stirred closed vessel”, Combust. Flame, (81)304-316 (1990).
- Hidaka, Y., Kimura, K. and Kawano, H., “High-temperature pyrolysis of ketene in shock waves”, Combust. Flame, (99)18-28 (1994).
- Inomata, T., Griffiths, J. F., Pappin, A. J., “The role of additives as sensitizers for the spontaneous ignition of hydrocarbons”, Twenty-third Symp. (Int') on Combust., The Combustion Institute, 1759-1766 (1990).
- Kee, R.J., Rupley, F.M., and Miller, J.A., “Chemkin-II: A FORTRAN Chemical Kinetics Package for the Analysis of Gas Phase Chemical Kinetics”, Sandia Laboratories Report, SAND 89-8009B (1993).
- Muller, C., Michel, V., Scacchi, G. and Come, G.M., “THERGAS: a computer program for the evaluation of thermochemical data of molecules and free radicals in the gas phase”, J.Chem. Phys., (92)1154-1178 (1995).
- Bromly, J.H., Barnes, F.J., Mandyczewsky, R., Edwards, T.J. and Haynes, B.S., “An experimental investigation of the mutually sensitised oxidation of nitric oxide and n-butane”, Twenty-Fourth Symp.(Int'l) on Combust., 899-907 (1992).
- Lee, D., Goto, S., Wakao, Y., Honma, H., Mori, M., Akasaka, Y., Hashimoto, K., Motohashi, M. and Konno, M., “Cetane number improvement by Di-t-butyl Peroxide in an LPG DI Diesel Engine”, JSAE 1999 Annual Meeting (1999).