This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Wear Mechanism by Soot Contaminated in Engine Oil (First Report: Relation Between Characteristics of Used Oil and Wear)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Increase of soot contaminated in engine oil caused by EGR system accelerates the diesel engine wear, especially in the valve train. Wear of metal is affected by many factors such as concentration and diameter of soot, oil film thickness, oil characteristics, etc. Effects of soot on metal wear were discussed from the point of view of soot concentration, and soot diameter and oil film thickness. Wear test was carried out by using four-ball wear tester. Consequently, it was made clear that wear increases proportionally to soot concentration, and relation between oil film thickness and soot diameter plays very important role in wear mechanism. Further, the surface of wear scar was observed by SEM to discuss effect of soot diameter on wear and existence of abrasive wear by soot and its occurrence conditions were suggested.
|Technical Paper||Contribution of Soot Contaminated Oils to Wear-Part II|
|Technical Paper||Soot Induced Cam Wear in Diesel Engines: An Investigation Using Thin Layer Activation|
|Technical Paper||Wear Mechanism in Cummins M-11 High Soot Diesel Test Engines|
CitationSato, H., Tokuoka, N., Yamamoto, H., and Sasaki, M., "Study on Wear Mechanism by Soot Contaminated in Engine Oil (First Report: Relation Between Characteristics of Used Oil and Wear)," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3573, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3573.
- SASAKI Miki KISHI Yosiaki HYUGA Tetsu OKAZAKI Katsuo TANAKA Masayuki KURIHARA Isao “The Effect of EGR on the Diesel Engine Oil, and its Countermeasures,” The 14 th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium 1997 379
- NAGAI Isamu ENDO Hiriyasu NAKAMURA Hideo YANO Hisashi “Soot and Valve Train Wear in Passenger Car Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper No. 831757
- NARITA Keiichi “The Effects of Diesel Engine Oil Performance,” Journal of Japanese Society of Tribologists 42 6 1997 425 429
- YOSIDA Kazuo SAKURAI Tosio “Mechanism of Valve Train Wear Caused by Diesel Soot,” Junkatus 33 8 1987 629 636
- Kuo Cheng C. Passut Charles A. Jao Tze-Chi Csontos Aladar A. Howe James M. “Wear Mechanism in Cummins M-11 High Soot Diesel Test Engines,” SAE Paper No. 981372
- KAGAYA Mineo “Study on Diesel Soot (Part 1) Effect of Diesel Soot on Valve Train Wear in Passenger Car Diesel Engines,” Sekiyu Gakkaishi 40 6 1997 482 487
- Stachowiak G.W. Batchelor A.W. “ENGINEERING TRIBOLOGY,” ELSEVIER 1993 372